Well cap replacement, now metal sediment in system

Users who are viewing this thread

brador

Reaction score
I have a 170-foot deep well, copper and PEX throughout the house, and a Rheem Marathon plastic water heater, which we installed in late 2007.

I just had the well cap cover replaced and when I turned the pump back on, a ton of what appear to be small metal flakes shot through the system. I've been cleaning out faucet screens and fill-tube filters every 24 hours for a couple of days.

Now, the old water heater that came with the house and was in pretty bad shape when we replaced it. We had some problems with the particles back then, but it had long since subsided. This has been true even though we frequently turn off the water pump when we're away for more than a week or so--about six times a year.

I assume the particles are corrosion from some pipe or another, or from the old water heater. But the upsurge right after the well cap replacement has me wondering if it's something else. Also, what can I do about it other than wait it out?

Thanks, all.

Reach4

Reaction score
After flushing out the stirred up sediment to the ditch, I would put a whole-house sediment filter for the water going to the house but not to the outside hose bibs. I like the Pentek Big Blue 4.5x20 housings. It is best to plumb in a 3-valve bypass around the filter.

I would also do a sanitizing of my well and plumbing. The first line of https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ has a link to a nice sanitizing article, but then I go into my possibly-overkill extension.

MI Well Drilling

Oh well !
Reaction score
Chlorination will definitely stir up a ton of stuff. May want to test the water for bacteria before doing the sanitation. You'll be cleaning faucets for a month. Valve man has the right idea.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks