Weird Water Supply Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Dan V

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm having a very unusual supply problem and I'm hoping someone here can help me out.

The other day, the water supply went to zero in only one of my bathrooms. No water to the toilet or either sink faucet. This is on the second floor, but the other bathroom on the same floor is fine as is the supply to the kitchen, also on the second floor. The bathroom on the ground floor is also fine.

In the recent past, I would get spluttering and gurgling out of the faucet when either hot or cold was opened, but then it would smooth out after a short while. Now, though, I got nothing! Any ideas as to what the problem could be?

Dan V

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is quite possible that there is something in the line that is stopping up a valve. It could be a bad valve in the supply to that bathroom.

You can usually disassemble a valve to inspect it without taking it out of the line.

Dan V

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, Bob NH.

By 'valve', I'm assuming you mean a shut-off valve, where there is generally a handle or knob of some sort.

Would a single bad valve (or blockage) cause both hot and cold to not work? Would there be a single valve somewhere upstream that would feed both hot and cold to this particular bathroom? Since hot would have to come from the water heater, if the problem was there, I would expect the rest of the house to have issues as well.

Dan V

Dan V

Reaction score
Well, I figured it out! Hard water deposits had clogged both the sink aerator and the fill valve in the toilet. I replaced the aerator, fill and flush valves in the toilet, ran a coat hanger through the supply tube just to make sure and everything works like a charm!

Why both happened at the same time is still a mystery, though.

Dan V.

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would suggest you get a water analysis done and invest in a water softener. If the plumbing to your toilet was bad i would hate see what the inside of your boiler looks like.

SAM

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks