Weird water pressure issue in house... tenants moving in today, any ideas? (w/pics)

Users who are viewing this thread

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
@ don: There is not a main shutoff at the house, the valve at the street is open all the way.

@ captain dipshit: Yes, since the pressure would rise when the water was off (for that initial 1 second spurt when i turned the faucet on, before it dropped to weak) it probably means the PRV is defective, and that would also explain the lack of a leak from the T/P. I'm going to leave it for now, because as far as i know the only problem it would cause would be a possible fluctuation in house pressure.

LOL.

That is a bit funny.

I would not call a moderator a name like that, But that is a bit funny. You need to be happy here, and come back soon.

hj has some balls and tells it like it is. No reason to bash him. I like to call it like I see it also.

Sounds like you have it under control.

Have Fun, Everyone.

DonL

Reaction score
Rebuilding a PRV is usually a "fool's errand", because it may not work and then you still have to replace it.

That may be true.

I am a fool when it comes to a $20 kit and not needed to take the plumbing apart to replace it.

I may save $100, if it works, if not I will be out $20.

You can not even get a valve like that anymore, It has real brass.

You do need a few skills to do the job properly, O and the proper tools.

Tireshark

Reaction score

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Get one with a tattler needle. On some municipal systems the pressure might spike at night when usage is low and they are pumping hard to fill the water tower.

DonL

Reaction score
You can see how much the pressure difference was in the videos of the kitchen/sink faucets being turned on. Here they are again:

Flow at kitchen sink (two turns)

Flow at bathroom sink (two turns)

But i know that probably doesnt tell you much... i need to buy a pressure gauge and check it that way now that i have adjusted the PRV.

So you have no meter ? pressure gauge ?

You are just guessing.

Pressure is different than flow.

Two Turns on one valve may not be the same flow as 2 turns on another. What model lets you turn it 2 full turns ? Sounds like they need to be replaced.

You need to measure the pressure coming into the house.

Then measure the pressure after your PRV.

Then you go from there. You need to start from ground zero.

If you have low flow after you get the pressure adjusted, then that is another problem.

Not having a expansion tank is another issue, That should be corrected.

You are making it harder than you need to.

A meter is about $10 and most cheap ones are junk. Get a good one, and quit guessing.

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
In the world of water, a meter is generally used to measure quantity of flow. A gauge is used to measure pressure.

Yep.

I use a amp probe / Meter to measure flow normally. Or a snow drift can check for Range.

My mistake.

Last edited:

Tireshark

Reaction score
Two Turns on one valve may not be the same flow as 2 turns on another. What model lets you turn it 2 full turns ? Sounds like they need to be replaced.

When i wrote 'two turns' i meant that i was turning the faucet on and off twice so that people could see the pressure build up after the faucets were off. That was so no one would stop the video after i turned it on and off the first time.

You are making it harder than you need to.

A meter is about $10 and most cheap ones are junk. Get a good one, and quit guessing.

I turned the screw and it works and therefore im finished messing with it... thats about as easy i can make it. ;)

I only continued to talk about the pressure because lligetfa asked me a question about it. Truth is im probably not going to do anything else unless i get a complaint or the house floods... whichever comes first. :D

DonL

Reaction score
When i wrote 'two turns' i meant that i was turning the faucet on and off twice so that people could see the pressure build up after the faucets were off. That was so no one would stop the video after i turned it on and off the first time.

I turned the screw and it works and therefore im finished messing with it... thats about as easy i can make it. ;)

I only continued to talk about the pressure because lligetfa asked me a question about it. Truth is im probably not going to do anything else unless i get a complaint or the house floods... whichever comes first. :D

If it is working then all is good. I do not fix stuff until it is broke, unless I really need to fix it. lol

Everyone was just trying to help.

It is Great that you stuck around to take the abuse.

It is just a trick we play, to make sure new users are up to the chore.

You passed, but could use a little tweaking.

DonL

Reaction score
Yes pls.

I cant pay you anything, but you can borrow my weedeater whenever you want.

I have a few weedeaters. They Never seem to start when I need them.

Can I use your weedeater and get it running for you ?

I am awake now.

I work for Beer.

JerryR

Reaction score
Truth is im probably not going to do anything else unless i get a complaint or the house floods... whichever comes first. :D

I'm not sure you understand. Based in your videos you have a leaking PRV. Any time there is no flow it allows the house pressure to rise to street pressure. Once water flows only then does it reduce pressure.

If you have a meter with backflow or backflow device between you and the street you risk even exceeding street pressure when water heater fires up unless you have a functioning expansion tank. All this has the potential of bursting an old washing machine hose.

You should fix or replace your PRV and if you don't have an expansion tank get one installed.

DonL

Reaction score
I'm not sure you understand. Based in your videos you have a leaking PRV. Any time there is no flow it allows the house pressure to rise to street pressure. Once water flows only then does it reduce pressure.

If you have a meter with backflow or backflow device between you and the street you risk even exceeding street pressure when water heater fires up unless you have a functioning expansion tank. All this has the potential of bursting an old washing machine hose.

You should fix or replace your PRV and if you don't have an expansion tank get one installed.

If it was my place I would do it right. But it is not my money.

It normally ends up costing a lot more when all of the pipes start leaking.

The washing machine hoses are the least of the worries.

DonL

Reaction score
If insurance covers the damage, it is your and my money in the end, paid out in higher premiums.

Very true.

I started being self insured when the insurance companies started raising my rates, because people on the coast, build houses on the water, and lost their house, many times.

The best Insurance around here is 12 gauge with OO.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks