Weird water hammering for over an hour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
We weren't using any water when this happened. We're in a residential neighborhood and this is a IRC modular home, with PEX. We've been here since 2005 and never heard anything like this before. I heard it when I was walking by the laundry room where the water heater is. It went on for about an hour. I called the water department emergency number and they sent a guy over, but it had stopped by then. I showed him both of the videos that I captured on my phone, but he just shrugged and said "it's not out fault" and they didn't know what was causing it.

What could do this? Like a neighbor using some kind of pressure washer with pulses?

https://denverprocessservers.net/TEST/Water pipe vibrating due to pressure hammering 1.mp4

Reach4

Reaction score
Weird. Got a pressure gauge to stick onto a garden hose spigot to see if that needle wiggles too?

I am picturing some valve triggering an oscillation. You don't have a PRV (pressure reducing valve), do you?

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
Weird. Got a pressure gauge to stick onto a garden hose spigot to see if that needle wiggles too?

I am picturing some valve triggering an oscillation. You don't have a PRV (pressure reducing valve), do you?

No, and it was only for about an hour, that one time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks