Weird toilet sewer drain help???

Users who are viewing this thread

pgkpr

Reaction score
I'm a first time homeowner and single woman tackling a complete bathroom renovation and learning as I go... luckily it is a downstairs guest bathroom so can take my time and am 8 months into the project. Getting ready to tile so finally removed the toilet and found this weird corroded mangled mess of a pipe sticking up. These pictures are after I removed the wax ring. Background info: home built in 71, this bathroom may or may not be original to home. On septic system, this is ground floor of split level home on a slab. The main stack is 2 feet away. The metal flange is broken and there was a thick mudded tile here before that was over an inch thick. The new tile will not be mudded so the floor will be lower. I am probably going to put the same toilet back on. Is this lead or cast iron? Why does it look like it's been sitting underwater in a shipwreck for 100 years? Can I just cut off everything above ground level and put in a new pvc flange with a Compression fitting(??) thing that sits inside the existing pipe and tightens to it? Sorry I don't know what it's called but have seen it a few times in my research

Attachments

• 20160725_203451.jpg
    20160725_203451.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 282
  • 20160725_203507.jpg
    20160725_203507.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 306
  • 20160725_203526.jpg
    20160725_203526.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 301

pgkpr

Reaction score
I have no idea.. I figured that was all one piece. so the lead is a separate piece not part of the pipe? I will have to look closer tonight. Haven't stuck my hand down there , well, for obvious reasons.. will find my rubber gloves. My dad is suggesting using a dremel to cut off the mangled looking lead part?

Ughh all I wanted to do was the tiling and this project has turned into soo much more. Ive already replaced all the shower parts- and switched from 2 handles to one, replaced water shut off valves, removed mudded lathe shower walls and floor and a 4 inch thick mud bed, replaced damaged drywall, put new insulation and new drywall is almost done.. then to figure out the funky shower drain that looks like a converted toilet drain

Reach4

Reaction score
Lead bends. Bend it too much, it breaks. So if you could stick maybe a round thing like a can or a baseball bat in there and form the lead over that flange piece with some rolling force, you could put a repair ring down to hold the flange bolts. You would need to use gentle force.

The wax would press against the lead to keep gases from leaking.

Usually the lead would have been joined with what is below, so you don't want to just rip that out. Now if you cannot form the lead, you might be able to fit a Pushtite flange if the part down the hole is round enough and if the size is right. Size and shape will be important for that option. Otherwise you are breaking out concrete if I interpret your photo correctly.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Lead bends were common back in the day. Worked well, but have been replaced with better methods. Working with lead is not really a DIY job. While you might make it work, in my opinion, I'd get a plumber to remove the lead and put a new connection and flange. I realize you are doing this yourself and probably want to be able to take 100% credit for doing it by yourself, but you might be wise to consider this.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks