Weird toilet flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Timmed

Reaction score
Hello - I removed the toilet in a 1963 era home only to find it doesn't have the normal closet flange. Instead it just has 2 threaded holes in it that you twist the closet bolts into. On top of that, at one point they tiled the floor so the flange is now a good 5/8 below the level of the tile.

I'm debating whether to try placing a regular closet flange on top of this one, but I'm not really sure how I'd secure it. I also don't want to create a huge mess by busting out a bunch of tile around it.

Any thoughts? Should I just use the existing flange? Maybe an extra thick wax ring to make up for the height of the tile?

Attachments

• 2020-05-22 16.34.19.jpg
    2020-05-22 16.34.19.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 205

Reach4

Reaction score
Scrape the wax or whatever off, and show us a photo without the rag.

Reach4

Reaction score
You could probably use a Danco Hydroseat, or a repair ring to provide or hold the closet bolts.

PASCO 21013 and Superior 21015 are repair rings with 6 mounting tabs outside.

Timmed

Reaction score
Here's a couple more pics. I do have as much wax scraped off as I can, what you are seeing is the top of the cast iron flange. I scraped it a bit more, and now you can see the lead solder joint as well. The screws still thread in fine, I'm tempted to just re-use it, I'm just concerned about the gap between the tile floor and the flange.

2020-05-22 17.46.01.jpg

2020-05-22 17.46.31.jpg

Timmed

Reaction score
You could probably use a Danco Hydroseat, or a repair ring to provide or hold the closet bolts.

PASCO 21013 and Superior 21015 are repair rings with 6 mounting tabs outside.
Thanks Reach4, that Danco Hydroseat looks promising.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks