Weird P-trap size under bathroom sink?

Users who are viewing this thread

Olmec125

Reaction score
I needed to replace the damaged P-trap under my bathroom sink today and got a 1-1/2" J-bend from Home Depot. When I tried to connect it to the trap arm, I found that it is just a tad bit too small to fit the opening, so the old P-trap's diameter is actually bigger than 1 1/2". However, everywhere I look it seems like P-trap only comes in 1-1/2" or 1-1/4". Is there anywhere I could get bigger size P-trap? I've attached images of the old vs new trap, and also an image of the old slip joint nut, you will see that the tube inside is a 1-1/2" pipe from the tailpiece side. Hope this makes sense. Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_2717.jpg
    IMG_2717.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_2718.jpg
    IMG_2718.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_2719.jpg
    IMG_2719.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 275

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
NOT LEGAL in Queens YOU should really stop thinking a you know anything about plumbing as your lack of codes is pathetic

We can't use rubber fittings. They are a mess when we have to pull them out.

The chrome trap on the first post did look odd. Why not replace the entire p-trap and pick up a new slip joint washer for the wall side?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I needed to replace the damaged P-trap under my bathroom sink today and got a 1-1/2" J-bend from Home Depot. When I tried to connect it to the trap arm, I found that it is just a tad bit too small to fit the opening, so the old P-trap's diameter is actually bigger than 1 1/2". However, everywhere I look it seems like P-trap only comes in 1-1/2" or 1-1/4". Is there anywhere I could get bigger size P-trap? I've attached images of the old vs new trap, and also an image of the old slip joint nut, you will see that the tube inside is a 1-1/2" pipe from the tailpiece side. Hope this makes sense. Thanks everyone!

Blackman supply (Main street flushing) . AF supply there are a whole bunch of plumbing supplies in Queens and your a lot better off then \then going to a hardware store

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf...GqgEHZ3dzLXdpeg&gs_ivs=1&sclient=psy-ab#tts=0

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Thank you everyone! I went to Queens Plumbing Supply and the problem has been solved.

I Bet it was chrome plated brass tubing not some rubber crapola :)

Normally I would suggest if you need plumbing supplies go to a plumbing supply as you have quality and choices

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks