Weil-Mclain AquaBalance 155 Series 2 Control Module connector

Users who are viewing this thread

Jemezbrad

Electronic Engineer
Reaction score
Website
horseshoemeadow.com
There is an electronic port connector on the control panel, WM part #640-000-003 of this unit (which I believe is a variant of a Honeywell control.) I have looked everywhere I can think of for information about this port which I think can be used to read-out the fault code history, but I can't find anything about it.

Does anybody have any info about this, such as the communication protocol, e.g. RS-232, CAN bus, etc., or what stored info may be available? Is there an available interface module? The company which installed the system, which is having intermittant problems has no such device, nor does the manufacturer's distributor representative/tech.

Thanks, Jemezbrad

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is a control board. That port should get plugged into the wiring for the boiler. Its hard to say without a link or my researching your boiler in detail, but I'm gonna doubt there's an analyzer for it. Any diagnostics would be built into the boiler.

Jemezbrad

Electronic Engineer
Reaction score
Website
horseshoemeadow.com
The connector is on the front panel of the controller, under a rubber flap, just under two buttons between between the digital display and the analog temperature/pressure meter. There is NO WAY that they wired something externally on the front panel to the guts inside. There are wires for power, sensors, etc., all of which enter on the underside of the WH.

The diagnostics ARE in the controller which can be, to some extent, readout one-by-one on the dig. display.
I would just like to download the history which I'm sure is stored in memory (like many other sophisticated controllers do.)

There is a possibility that this port is for factory use or for upgrading the firmware ... or something I haven't thought of.

WM controller display.jpg

Fitter30

Reaction score
Only person that would have the program and possibly the cabling wound be the factory service representative. Your plumber needs to talk with his supplier to make a call. What failure is it failing on?

Jemezbrad

Electronic Engineer
Reaction score
Website
horseshoemeadow.com
The fault code that flashes with a red backlight on the display is A06 and sometimes A01. Included are two pages from my WM "Boiler Manual".
We've had the tech who installed the boiler (perhaps, after seeing the manual again, I should have posted on the 'Boiler' forum) out two times. Both times he left it in 'working condition'. It is intermittent and I took a movie with my phone of it faulting as proof. The house is in the mountains 1-1/2 hours from Albuquerque where the plumbing/HVACcompany is. On the second trip, while we were traveling to meet him, we were called by the receptionist while we were still in cell signal range who announced that we would have to pay to the tune of ~ $500 for an 'annual service kit' (with mostly gaskets and a spark igniter) and also a service charge. The unit is still under partial warranty.
We called the company to tell them it was still faulting and they said that they'd send out a factory rep. He turned-out to be the DISTRIBUTOR's rep. - I believe that he had his own company. He and I believe the installer tech's supervisor, cleaned the heat exchanger (which was 'sooty') installed the 'kit', etc. He used a flue gas analyzer whereby he determined the COx indicated that the air-to-propane ratio was ~1900 where it should have been 100-200 and he adjusted the gas. They left and said they'd be back to do any final adjustments at some later time.
BTW, the igniter which should be a hermetic ceramic/metal flange seal was loose and floppy. I had a discussion about this with the supervisor where I said that that loose joint would be a CO leak into the room. He said that there was a rubber 'seal' to the ceramic which I disagreed with (there IS a silicone cap over the input wire and the ceramic feed-through, but it is no SEAL!) I have the igniter.
There is more, but this should be sufficient.

Thanks, Brad
Troubleshooting Fault Codes.jpeg
Fault Code Descriptions.jpeg

WM controller display.jpg

Fitter30

Reaction score
Want to know the O2, co and co2 flue gas readings. Flue and air intake on the same exposer? Elevation been set in the program? Page 69 has the blower speed been check ?

Jemezbrad

Electronic Engineer
Reaction score
Website
horseshoemeadow.com
Wow, Fitter30, I'm impressed that you must have downloaded the Boiler Manual and referred to the Startup section to ask these questions - Thank you!

First, I don't know the answers, except that the flue and air intake are concentric PVC pipes (exposer?) as none of the check-list boxes have been checked nor has the required Installation Certificate been filled in. I do know that the installer referred to this section, as the page corner has been folded in. I'll have to ask the gentlemen when they come back about specifics. I'm especially concerned that the required "X100 inhibitor" has been used as well as the pH and other chemistry checked, as we have corrosive well water. We are at about 8000' regarding the fan speed and program setting.

Second, as for my original question I guess that I'll have to ask the Rep if he'll ask the WM technical service department for me. I would like to be able to download the operational history.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Never seen this brand use a chemical treatment company for all mine commercial accounts. General treatment to 25 gallons for corrosion and hydrogen gas for hot water heating systems. Ph paper strips could test the water since your worried. Look at the product sheet

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks