Wedi Board - Can't hang over thick tub flange - what to do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Canada_DIY_Plumber

Reaction score
Kerdi-Board is basically sold out locally so I am trying out Wedi and can't figure out what to do with this tub flange.

The tub has a thick flange. It's basically a full 1/2 inch. Unfortunately, I can't fur out the wall by 1/2 inch to drop the Wedi over the flange because then it will create an awkward transition with the rest of the length of the wall. The flange is so thick, that I can't even cut a notch to allow half the sheet to hang over (aside from the fact that it's near impossible to cut a notch cleanly without a tablesaw and I don't have one here.) So it looks like the Wedi will have to stop just above the flange.

This is what the installation picture shows:

https://us.wedi.de/fileadmin/_proce...ng-panel-tub-walls-enclosures5_c5b2cc1a8c.jpg

They have a tape product. I was thinking I could tape this to the flange and then bring it up over the board and embed it with sealant. However, that is not what is shown on the picture. They show this tape being used when there is no flange at all and it would be flipped around with the sticky side of the tape away from the wall. I'm not sure if it's valid to install it the other way with the sticky side of the tape facing towards the wall.

https://www.wedi.de/fileadmin/media...systeme-tools-wannendichtband-impression2.jpg

I've heard that it is acceptable to just drop the board to the flange and fill the gap with sealant but I'm having a hard time finding any official source for that and I want to follow the manufacturers directions.

Wedi1.JPG
wedi2.JPG

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
The picture shows a notch cut. I would cut a notch. Borrow or rent a table saw if that's what you think you need, but since the notch won't be visible I don't see why it can't be cut by hand. After you notch, If you need to shim it should be a minor amount. Or search for thicker board.

Last edited:

Canada_DIY_Plumber

Reaction score
If I do fur it out and then do a notch cut, what is the best way to transition to the drywall now that the tile section of the wall will be proud of the drywall?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
For Kerdi products, you could use Kerdi band (just a thin strip of Kerdi material, no adhesive), with Kerdifix to hold it to the tub, and thinset to hold it to the Kerdiboard.

So if Wedi has an equivalent non-adhesive fleeced band that can be set with thinset, and an equivalent adhesive to Kerdifix, do that.

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I can't fur out the wall by 1/2 inch to drop the Wedi over the flange because then it will create an awkward transition with the rest of the length of the wall.
This still might be the better option. The transition can be handled in various ways, like a quarter round tile.

Cheers, Wayne

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The Wedi sealant is used similarly to KerdiFix...it's waterproof on its own and sticks to lots of things...I wouldn't have issues bonding the Wedi to the top of the flange with it. The foam interior of the board is waterproof, similar to a foam coffee cup...the exterior coating helps with stiffness and compatibility to mortar to bond the tile to it.

If you can wait until Monday, you could call them for their tech support helpline.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks