We'd like a cast iron bath tub but our alcove is only 58 in wide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Lee Paulson

Reaction score
We have an old fiber glass tub and shower one piece in a small bathroom alcove. The fiberglass tub is worn and we'd like to replace it. My wife wants a cast iron tub. But our alcove, at 58-1/2 inches isn't wide enough for typical 60 in tubs. Moving the alcove walls will be extremely difficult as there are plumbing and granite counters on the other side of both alcove walls. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The old fiberglass tub was 60" from stud to stud. They never made any 58-1/2" long tubs.

Are you measuring from the finished walls?

Lee Paulson

Reaction score
I believe you. That's what I thought, too, until I saw this. The finished alcove wall is 57-1/2 in wide. Tub enclosure sticks out beyond that. From all outward appearances and measurements, it would appear the shower surround was made narrower than a typical 60 in unit. I have removed the sheetrock on top of the back of the surround and it is 1/2 regular indoor sheetrock. Having done that, I can tell you that nothing, and I mean nothing in this alcove, was framed with any rhyme or reason, or adherence to standard framing practices. Have a neighbor in the same housing tract whose finished alcove I measured and it was 59 in wide on the inside like it should be. They claim they had the same type of shower as this. And they have a newer cast iron tub installed. Makes no sense.

The concern is that there is only one bathroom in this house. I don't want to tear out the tub and enclosure, only to find that the alcove width is too narrow for a standard 60 in tub.

MKS

Reaction score
Pictures.
The two responders have upwards of 100 years of experience.
Tub rough openings are pretty well established.
Highly unlikely it was a custom fiberglass tub.
Cause it would be too expensive.
Remodels are invasive.
Porta johns.
Outdoor showers.
Bagged food.
Sawzalls are a must along with a legitimate plan.
It costs real money.
Its not diy tv easy.
If you want to go there you have to accept the risks.
Good luck.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The tub length is 60". A proper tub replacement job includes removing the existing wallboard, tile, furring strips etc. Once that is done the studs are exposed on both ends where it is built to accept a 60" tub.

Lee Paulson

Reaction score
You were all right! Based upon your knowledge and the years of experience behind your feedback, I figured the odds had to be in my favor. So I sucked it up and ripped the thing out down to the studs. And was pleased to indeed see a 60 inch opening buried underneath all of the filler. Thank you for being so emphatic in your responses. Very much appreciated!

Mike in Fremont

Reaction score
I was sure that the alcove in my 70's ranch house was standard also, and proceeded to start tearing out the old built-in fiberglass tub/shower in preparation for installing my new 60" shower pan, which measures exactly 60" and requires a 60 3/8" space for install. After getting down to the studs and measuring, the alcove is 59 1/2". I measured multiple times from different pairs of studs, and included a pic of the tape measure stretched between the two outside edges of the old shower, which is nailed flush to the studs on each end. It looks like I will have to notch the studs to get the new pan in.

Attachments

• IMG_20190816_165936913.jpg
    IMG_20190816_165936913.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 254
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks