Settings (all set per conversation w/OEM):
Backwash: 8 min
Brine Cycle: 60 min
Backwash: 8 min
Rinse: 8 min
Fill: 9.0 lbs
Capacity: 24000
Hardness: 26

Background: Originally had an overflowing brine tank and no soft water; I replaced the brine tank/safety float assy; new brine flow elbow, new injector, new drain button (2.2), new drain elbow, new spacer stack assembly and both pistons...all new o-rings of course. That fixed the overflowing brine tank but the water was still not soft (tested at Leslie Pool, 200 PPM). Next, I cleaned my media tank replaced the resin with 1.0 cubic foot of Cation (no gravel per OEM and parts company).

Water feels slick again but now my new problem of "Weak Brine Draw". It is positively sucking but the water level only goes down about 1.5 inches over the 60 minute cycle and over time the water level has gone up a few inches, now above the salt level by about 4 inches.

I have checked all my connections and shortened my brine line (that helped a little). I wonder if I should open the media tank up again and make sure everything is in order there.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Rick

Bannerman

Reaction score
The controller does not know if each of the programmed steps is successful. At each programmed step, the controller proceeds to perform the programmed action intended. Even if brine was not successfully drawn from the brine tank during 'BD' for whatever reason, the controller will continue to add water to the brine tank during 'BF' so as to prepare brine for the next regeneration cycle. If brine continues to not be drawn over a few subsequent cycles, the brine tank will continue to fill until the safety float rises to shut-off the water flow into the brine tank.

Your description isn't clear if after replacing the resin, if soft water was delivered for only a week or two, or for an extended time thereafter. Depending on your water requirements, if soft water lasted for only a week or two, then it would signify that the brine draw issue was not corrected but you had soft water only until the new resin's capacity was depleated.

Often, what you describe is caused by a blocked/defective injector, a blocked injector screen or a slight leak in the brine tube or any brine line connection. A small leak would permit air to be sucked-in, preventing the heavier brine from being drawn. A leak can be small enough that air will leak in but water will not leak out during the 'BF' portion of the regen cycle.

What is odd is that some brine is initially being drawn into the media tank and then stops. Also odd is that shortening the brine line helped a little. That being the case, I suspect a leak in the brine line and/or a tube connection at either end.

Suggestions:
  • Remove the injector screen, clean the screen and the recess it sits in. Reinstall.
  • Remove the injector, clean the injector and the recess it sits in. Reinstall. Ensure it is oriented correctly as I've heard of installing the injector backwards.
  • Remove the brine line at the controller. Advance the controller to 'BD' and using your finger over the open brine port, ensure there is suction felt on the brine port. If suction is not felt, there is a further issue with the injector. If suction is felt, reinstall the brine line and disconnect at the brine tank. Repeat suction test. If some suction is felt, listen for a leak in the brine line and at the connection to the tank. Seal or replace the leaking component.
  • If no leak can be identified, you could then remove the brine pickup assembly from the tank, repeating the suction test for each section until the leak source is found. If a leak is below the brine level, the brine would prevent air from being sucked-in until the liquid level reaches the location of the leak.
  • Ensure the air check ball actually floats in brine solution. If the ball doesn't float properly, it would close the brine pickup at the bottom of the brine tank and would prevent brine from being drawn.

Last edited:

Koppster

Reaction score
Thanks Bannerman, appreciate the recommendations and insight, I'll check it out over the weekend and let you know if I have success. Rick

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a customer with the same issue. I've tried cleaning the venturi but is doesn't help.. Just as soon as I install a new venturi, it draws extremely well. I was just at his house and other than checking all functions and cycles I did nothing else but change the venturi.

Koppster

Reaction score
Second question:

I have no gravel in my media tank so I believe I can pull my pipe out and reinstall it without damaging the resin? Yes?

Thanks,
Rick

Reach4

Reaction score
Edit: Oops-- I had misinterpreted your reference to gravel. Sorry.

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
With your current issue, there would be nothing to be gained in pulling the riser tube or looking in the resin tank.

The venturi is the injector. While you had specified as already replacing the injector, perhaps it was defective or not inserted fully or an O-ring was missing.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=LOvr-5coUhE

Koppster

Reaction score
Thanks Reach & Bannerman...

I have no gravel by design, OEM & parts supplier recommended no gravel for 9X48 residential tank. What I am concerned about is maybe I kinked an o-ring or something when I replaced the resin and reinstalled the contoller.

I have checked the suction at the brine elbow and it is only slightly stronger than at the end of the hose. Going to look at the injector, etc. and see if I find anything. When I rebuilt the controller, I did find what looked like teflon tape debris in several places, maybe some more of that is in there somewhere.

Koppster

Reaction score
So I took everything apart and ensured there were no obstructions, I did encounter a small pebble but not sure if it was impeding anything. I replaced the brine hose with the one from the original tank and double checked all the fittings. I now have what I would characterize as much stronger draw (suction) during the brine cycle. I'll give it a few days and a few cycles before I declare victory but things are looking better. Thanks All!

Bannerman

Reaction score
Finding anything in the injector & brine circuit is significant as any debris can impare operation.

Although your softener is programmed to utilize 24K of the entire 30 - 32K capacity, because the entire capacity was depleated, you should then perform a regeneration using 18 lbs of salt to restore all of the resin's capacity.

Since your unit is currently programmed for a 9 lb salt setting, 3 gallons of water will already be within the brine tank. You could manually add an additional 3 gallons with a bucket, wait 2.5 - 3 hours for the additional salt to dissolve, then manually initiate a regen cycle.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks