We have 3 TOTO toilets and I am having some cleaning issues - would love advice

Users who are viewing this thread

DMH

Reaction score
The two toilets upstairs (I think they are Elongated Ultramax) are CEFIONTECT - they get this terrible build-up that I just can't get rid of where the toilet bowl flushes - I have tried multiple brushes but there is a ridge where the water leaves the bowl that makes it really hard to reach the build-up. I have tried so many toilet cleaners, including Mrs. Meyers, Lysol, baking soda and vinegar, scrubbing bubbles... I have also tried CLR.
The downstairs toilet has a washlet. The toilet itself cleans fine (not sure if it is because it isn't CEFIONTECT or because maybe the water is less hard?) but the bottom of the washlet toilet seat has been driving me crazy - it has yellow stains and I constantly clean it. I have tried every type of cleaner I can think of. I have even tried (I know this is awful) sanding it. We are at the point of considering some kind of epoxy or something just to get something that will clean better.
Any suggestions? If anyone else has the toilet bowl with the ridge where the water leaves the bowl - I would love to know what type of brush you find works.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
TOTO recommends Dawn detergent and a nylon bristle brush. Normally you let it soak for a bit.
If you've already used baking soda on it, it may be late, but maybe not. Make sure when you're soaking the bowl, the water level is high enough to cover the line in the bowl.

dawn-soap.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DMH

Reach4

Reaction score
If anyone else has the toilet bowl with the ridge where the water leaves the bowl
I was thinking the water leaves the bowl below the waterline. Do you mean where the water first appears visibly above the waterline?

I see how the words could be used differently.

DMH

Reaction score
I was thinking the water leaves the bowl below the waterline. Do you mean where the water first appears visibly above the waterline?

I see how the words could be used differently.
At the very bottom of the bowl where the water exits.

DMH

Reaction score
TOTO recommends Dawn detergent and a nylon bristle brush. Normally you let it soak for a bit.
If you've already used baking soda on it, it may be late, but maybe not. Make sure when you're soaking the bowl, the water level is high enough to cover the line in the bowl.
Thank you - I will try that tomorrow.

Reach4

Reaction score
At the very bottom of the bowl where the water exits.
Better than sandpaper would be pumice. Pumie is a common brand.

pumie-scouring-stick.jpg

Well water or city? Septic or sewer?

I would be leaning toward trying phosphoric acid. It is pretty easy to get under a different name. However if this is silica, chemicals are not going to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikky Torranson

Reaction score
Hey, I seem to have a similar problem. I just need to be sure that it works, and it's safe, because my landlord will be very angry. To add insult to injury, I live in London, and I don't think I can find most USA products. Can we find a solution?

Reach4

Reaction score

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks