WBRU80 ERR029

Users who are viewing this thread

Nanker Phelge

Reaction score
When I went to fire up my Westinghouse WBRU80 for the season I got an ERR029, which indicates an issue with the APS. APS replaced and still the same issue. Condensate line has no sign of blockage. I am going to remove the exhaust line to ensure there are no unexpected blockages.

But an odd behavior I do notice is that when first powered up, and the ERR029 alarm is cleared, the boiler fires for less than a minute before it goes out again. But in that short time the CH temp rises way above what I have the boiler set for. I have the CH set for ~100F, but the temp on the displays runs up as high as ~157F before it shuts down the boiler. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this sort of behavior from this line of boilers before?

Last edited:

Fitter30

Reaction score

Nanker Phelge

Reaction score
Error 29 is the air pressure switch what u stated. It's Looking to if condensate is backing up into the burner. When the boiler fails the boiler pump must be stopping residual heat is building up from no flow. This will ruin the boiler heat exchanger. Need to check the flue see if it has screen on the outlet. Error 20 would be the condensate trap. Heres a manual
Thks for the reply.

It's Looking to if condensate is backing up into the burner.
Is there any obvious way to check for this? I did take the condensate resevoir off the bottom of the exchanger and out to empty and clean it, ensuring there were no blockages. It seemed ok and was discharging water as intended.

When the boiler fails the boiler pump must be stopping residual heat is building up from no flow.
Could there perhaps be a problem with the boiler pump maybe not working? Is there an easy way to check this pump?

This will ruin the boiler heat exchanger.
What exactly will ruin the heat excahnger? Condensate backing up into the burner or residual heat build up from no flow?

Need to check the flue see if it has screen on the outlet.
I used to have a pvc screen inside the flu pipe outside the house. But I'm pretty sure it was causing an error a couple of years ago that lead me to remove the screen and resolve that issue. I did fail to put a cap on the end of the pipe this past summer, like I did the previous summer. Now I am wondering if something big enough could have crawled inside and got stuck? It is about a 20' run of 2" pipe.

Error 20 would be the condensate trap.
I am not getting any other errors other than 029. I noticed that when I power up the boiler without a call for heat that the ERR029 is active. I thought the error was registering after the boiler started and then shut down, since I was powering it up with a call for heat while testing it previously.

Heres a manual.
Thanks for that. The font in the printed manual I have seems to be getting smaller everytime I look at it.

Fitter30

Reaction score
When ever u heat a heat exchanger the metal expands with no flow it can crack or a gasket failure.Residual heat can harm the heat exchanger. Have u done the yearly maintenance?

Nanker Phelge

Reaction score
Have u done the yearly maintenance?
The only thing I don't do from the recommended annual maintenance list is flush the exchanger or clean the CH filter.

And when the boiler is powered up and fires up, I then use a Testo 310 test set to run thru all the combustion, draft, pressure and temperature efficiency tests, which of course I haven't been able to run so far this year.

Fitter30

Reaction score
The air pressure switch that was changed very unlikely that both are bad. Is there a pressure setting on either switch. Your testo reads pressure can see what it is. Wonder if the blower wheel is dirty didn't see a filter on the inlet air.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks