Way to make waste pipe more upright?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tim L.

Reaction score
Hello. I have what used to be a S-trap situation where the drain went directly in to the floor. The sink has been moved to the right though, so it can now be a P-trap configuration (the drain still goes into the floor).

I know there are other things that need to be fixed in the pic, but want to concentrate first on the vertical waste pipe that is not completely upright. Specifically, since I want to put in a tee in on the left side with an AAV at the top (the drain is too far from the main vent), I know the vertical waste pipe can't be too out of perpendicular.

Is it OK to push to the left the vertical pipe so that it is closer to perpendicular, using something to secure it like a hook or block of wood secured to a stud, etc? Or, would bending it that far compromise a joint and risk cracking or breaking something? Thanks.

Attachments

• plumb pic edited.jpg
    plumb pic edited.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 184

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's hard to tell for sure, but the trap arm MUST slope down at least 1/4"/foot. The vertical doesn't matter as long as it goes down! It may look best if it is vertical, but it does not need to be.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks