wax rings

Users who are viewing this thread

joust13

Reaction score
i just recently repaired some tiles underneath my toilet. i now need to replace
the wax ring and was wondering if it matters if i should use a single standard
wax ring or a single no seep wax ring with the plastic horn. is it just preference or in your opinion, is one better than the other?

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
wax ring

I lean toward the one with the horn, less chance of the wax folding over the flange. Both will work. Luck.

saddlebr

Reaction score
How to remove excess wax from ring

My plumber had to remove and reinstall my toilet - the excess wax has made an awful mess - hoq can I get it off - any ideas? :mad:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Gasoline, or Coleman fuel, or paint thinner, after scraping as much as you can with a plastic scraper.

saddlebr

Reaction score
Removing wax

Thanks so much - boy sounds a little dangerous, but wondered if that might not be the answer. Someone else suggested to try Goo Be Gone, too. Have to get it cleaned up.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
wax

I never use the ring with the horn, and many of the ones I have found with leaks had used the wax ring with the horn/funnel. I wonder why he had that much excess wax. I don't thing I have ever had one that the wax came out from under the bowl. Usually it only comes up through the bolt holes.

saddlebr

Reaction score
Tired of his job

That is the only reason I can think of he made such a mess - I was really disapointed in him - been around a long time.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
First, take the toilet outside. You will need to scrape as much wax off as possible with a putty knife or similar tool. This will be messy, but you should be able to get enough off so that additional cleaning will not really be necessary. You don't have to have it perfectly clean, but if you do use paint thinner or gasoline, be sure you're outside not only for the mess but because of the fumes and fire danger. You might want to consider a waxless seal, they work quite well.

Brownizs

In the Trades
Reaction score
Gary, I tried a waxless seal and ended up going with a wax ring, due to it would not allow the toilet to sit properly. Now of course, since I thought that was the reason of my leak, I found out it is the gaskets between the tank and the base, which are rotted out.

I had no problems cleaning the wax off by using a putty knife and shop rag to clean up the mess.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

When I find water around a toilet, the gasket between the tank and bowl, and the bolts are the first place are check for the actual leak. Most of the time that is where the problem is, not the toilet's seal.

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
waxless rings

I was thinking about doing the installations of the toilets in my new house using waxless rings. Does anyone have a good experience with these and a recommended brand?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks