wax ring

Users who are viewing this thread

Peterl

Reaction score
any recommendation on what type of wax ring to get? Do you have to remove the old one before replacing it with a new wax ring?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do not get one with the plastic funnel. Just a "Plain Jane" ring. You do need to remove the old ring. When you set the toilet, use your body weight to compress the toilet into the ring. The flange bolts are not intended to pull the toilet into the wax until the toilet skirt contacts the floor all the way around. Then tighten the nuts, but don't use excessive force. All the flange bolt are supposed to do it hold the toilet down firmly and keep it from shifting.

Peterl

Reaction score
Hi Again,
Sorry to ask again. I just noticed a strong odor of gas this morning. I think this is due to toilet teethering which has been shimmied already. I need to get more shims. Is it okay for me to take the toilet off again and use the same wax and ADD another wax ring? I think I need another wax ring. So basically I want to reuse the old wax that is on there and add another one.
Thanks

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
New wax required anytime you reset the toilet. You have a problem with the flange. It should be setting on top of the finished floor and it sounds like it is above the floor level. Here's the way to handle the problem. Remove the toilet and wax ring. Now set the toilet in place on the flange without wax. Now, shim the toilet as needed to level it so that it will not rock and roll. Note where the shims are and remove the toilet. Put the new wax in place and set the toilet. Before squishing the toilet into the wax, place the shims back where they were. When the toilet is set into the wax now, it should not wiggle at all. The best shims to use are from the door department, not the plumbing section. Of course the length must be trimmed. These are a composite material and will not rot. Once the toilet is firmly anchored, caulk around the base seal the space under the shims. This is both for appearance and to prevent spill water on the floor from creeping under the toilet. It is not to seal the toilet to the flange, that was done with the wax ring.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks