Wax ring question

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I bought an installation kit with the toilet. The wax ring says extra thick. The part it goes on in the floor is above the floor.

Will that be ok?

When I cleaned the old wax gasket off, there is a black rubber piece that went insifde the part in the floor
the new gasket does not have that it is just wax. Do I need that? Can I use the old one?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the flange is above the floor then a single standard wax ring works. The extra thick wax ring with horn is for a flange lower than the floor.
We never reuse an old wax ring.

Reaction score
If the flange is above the floor then a single standard wax ring works. The extra thick wax ring with horn is for a flange lower than the floor.
We never reuse an old wax ring.

Before I saw this, I went out and bought one with a horn and used it. It is not leaking, should I replace it with the regular wax ring without the horn or is it ok if it does not leak? This is the one I bought.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oatey-John...ilet-Wax-Ring-with-Bolts-For-Hercules/3956163

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks