Wax ring guidance on 4" pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

GBH

Reaction score
Hello. I've been replacing the toilets in my father's house. All the toilet drain plumbing is 4" pipe. Slab foundation, built in 1970, Florida. I purchased regular wax rings and have installed two toilets so far using "by-the-book" instructions. Place wax ring on toilet, carefully set in place, etc. The wax ring box indicates it is suitable for 3" and 4" pipe. Both installs seemed to go smooth. FWIW, when setting the bowl down I could tell it was squishing wax. I'm now working on the 3rd toilet. On this one the flange is a bit lower than the first two. also, on all three toilets it appears to my eyes the wax ring was placed on the flange ring. Since the wax ring box says it is good for 4"pipe I've been following standard directions, but this 3rd flange is a little lower and has me questioning.

Should I go with what I've been doing? Get the thicker wax ring for this one? Form the wax ring on the flange ring as what appears was done in the past?

I'm calling the part of the flange with the bolt slots the ring. Not sure if that has a specific name.

Thank you for your time.

Gary

Attachments

• IMG_0199[1].JPG
    IMG_0199[1].JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 204

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Get a thicker ring. Also, forget the directions about putting the ring on the toilet before setting. Put the wax ring on the flange, then lower the toilet.

GBH

Reaction score
Get a thicker ring. Also, forget the directions about putting the ring on the toilet before setting. Put the wax ring on the flange, then lower the toilet.

Thank you. Do you suggest putting the wax ring wholly on the flat part of the flange? That would mean forming it some, maybe using part of a second ring, because the diameter of the flat part is larger than the wax ring.

Cheers,
Gary

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Thank you. Do you suggest putting the wax ring wholly on the flat part of the flange? That would mean forming it some, maybe using part of a second ring, because the diameter of the flat part is larger than the wax ring.

Cheers,
Gary

The flat part of a closet flange is always larger than the wax ring. Much of that flat part is drilled with holes for securing it to the floor, and slots to hold the closet bolts.
Plumbers set the wax on the flange and lower the bowl down onto the wax. The instructions on the box? I've never seen a plumber do that. I wonder what artist came up with that concept? Not a plumber.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks