Wax Ring Failure?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ntcarson

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was chasing down an AC issue at my house today and came upon a new leak. Fortunately, I was just under there recently, so it hasn't been going on for long. I traced to the most likely location (a toilet) and found the following condition of the wax ring/flange. Since I cannot clearly see moisture below the tile, I wanted to verify that what I am seeing here shows a breakdown of the wax seal against the flange, where it looks like something worked its way in between. Thank you for looking and for your sage advice, as always,
Neil

Attachments

• 20220721_180347.jpg
    20220721_180347.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 147
  • 20220721_180340.jpg
    20220721_180340.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 148

Reach4

Reaction score
It looks to me as if the toilet flange sits considerably lower than the floor. I would suspect the wax was not thick enough. I also wonder if the wax was centered on the hole.

How much did you use a plunger on that toilet ?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
To me it looks as if someone put a wax ring with horn on top of an old single wax ring.

Ntcarson

Reaction score
Hey guys - thanks for checking!

Reach - you are correct that the flange is below the tile, though just slightly. It has been close to 10 years since the builder installed and, I suspect, didn't do so optimally, as with many things in the house.

As for plunger - we didn't keep one in that bathroom, and I don't recall many occasions where it needed plunged. Probably just 3-5 times over the years.

Since the flange is a little low, do you have a ring that you recommend?

Thanks again,
Neil

Cliffyk

Reaction score
You need to get some hydraulic cement, clean the area around the plastic flange as well as you can and fill that void around and below the flange (hopefully it's not "bottomless"¹) with the hydraulic cement. level it off and reinstall the toilet...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
¹ - Sometimes packing the "void" tightly with plastic shopping bags can provide enough "bottom" to support the cement 'til it cures;

Reach4

Reaction score
Terry might put a wax ring on the bottom and a wax ring with a horn atop that, which may be similar to what was there already.

I think no cement needed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks