Waterproofing shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Carlosa

Reaction score
I bought Redgard for shower but cant find the membrane in stock at Hd or lowes, can I apply redgard without it??

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You really want the reinforcement when and where the instructions call for it. Not saying it will fail, but it has a much higher probability, and if you do not follow the manufacturer's instructions, you'd also not have any warranty to fall back on. No idea where in Texas you are, but maybe a call to CustomBuildingProducts could locate someone nearby that carries it.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
RedGard Liquid Waterproofing or RedGard Sheet Memberane Waterproofing

....Not saying it will fail, but it has a much higher probability, and if you do not follow the manufacturer's instructions, you'd also not have any warranty to fall back on.....

Much higher probability than what Jim? So are you saying that or not?

Is it better than Hydro Ban? Better than Kerdi?

What of the instructions say reinforcing is not required in the corners?

What if the poster was looking for the Red Sheet membrane similar to Kerdi and NobleSeal TS?

RedGard Sheet Membrane - Picture via Home Depot

157c5c52-c072-4a0b-bd98-22954cdd6d3f_300.jpg

RedGard Sheet Liquid Membrane

J0A9854.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
More BS from John, not helping, and diluting and polluting the forum. The OP question was on RedGard when used to waterproof a shower and the use of reinforcement fabric. They specify it in some circumstances, and wouldn't if it didn't help make a reliable install. If you do not use it, it probably will fail over time, but you might be lucky. Few things in life are cast in stone, except that sometime, you will die. Nobody is going to say it will absolutely fail, just like some people get away without using thinset underneath cbu on a floor, but eventually, it usually does fail.

Since the OP asked about Redgard, and actually spelled it correctly, my thought was that they had a clue about the actual product they were asking about...not whether I thought it was the best for their job. Redgard works if you apply it properly, it's just not my favorite product. The manufacturers have a vested interest in your project working, and to do that, you must follow their installation instructions.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Waterproofing Shower with RedGard

Jim RedGard has two membranes (did you see the pictures above?). On liquid and one like Kerdi.

You said something about it failing. They have not even started yet.

I wanted to make sure they did not use RedGard to install RedGard Sheet Membrane. I think you are missing something here.

Reinforcing Mesh for RedGard

Looks like Custom wants this style mesh to reinforce their RedGard product. The Instructions for RedGard call for this when cracks in the substrate are more than 1/8" and if you want more strength in the waterproofing. The instructions state the mesh is not needed to meet the base ANSI 118.10 requirement and that the product is light commercial rated. The complete details are here: http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/TDS/TDS-104.pdf

ImageGen.ashx

More Info on Custom's reinforcing mesh: http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/products/surface-preparation/membranes-underlayments/waterproofing-and-anti-fracture-membrane-mesh.aspx

I've read online that some installers have used Laticrete's mesh for this step. I have read online others have used more readily available roofing mesh for this step. Best call the Custom Building Products Tech Support Line @

Corporate Headquarters
13001 Seal Beach Blvd Seal Beach, CA 90740
562-598-8808

Customer Support
800-272-8786
Fax 800-200-7765

Technical Tool Services
800-423-1802

Technical Services
800-282-8786
Fax 562-799-0943

Architectural Services
800-282-8786
Fax 562-799-0943

Schluter-Ditra-waffles-crop-1024x694.jpg

Found this picture looking for the reinforcing fabric. Did not know Ditra was a breakfast item! LOL - love the propped shot.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks