Waterproofing inside of toilet lid?

Users who are viewing this thread

pikachu621

Reaction score
Would there be any harm in using that paint-on rubber stuff to coat the inside of the tank lid? Also, I don't like that this new toilet has 2 holes from molding. Can I seal those holes with something?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The underside of a toilet tank lid?
I don't see a problem with painting the bottom of a tank lid.
Sometimes they will have casting holes to let the hot air out during the firing process. After they are removed from the kiln, it's okay to plug those.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Terry is so nice. He didn't ask the obvious question: What purpose do you expect that to serve? If you care to share, I, at least, am a little curious.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A good porcelain absorbs very little moisture (typically, less than 0.5% by weight). Not sure I see the need or benefit.

pikachu621

Reaction score
The porcelain on this new toilet just doesn't seem to have the quality of the 42 yr old toilet I am replacing. It's very thin & lightweight in comparison. The finish coating does not go as far under the edges as the old one either.

pikachu621

Reaction score
Well, the old toilet had finish coating all the way around the lip... Also, I went to the blue big box store today & the stuff was $30/qt. so I'm going to pass on that idea. For some reason my old toilet would often have enough water under the lid that it dripped as I took it off. Nothing shot up against it & I don't remember other toilets having that problem...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A couple of major differences between old toilets and the newer, low-flow one.

An old toilet might use as much as 7 gallons...this means that it would almost certainly purge any warm water sitting in the pipes, and get potentially very cold water filling the tank (especially if it is flushed a few times in a row). Older toilets almost always nearly emptied the tank.

New toilets only use a relatively small proportion of the water in the tank (they use the extra height for pressure). So, when you flush and refill the tank, the potentially warm, room-temp water in the tank mixes with the water in the lines which is likely relatively warm, so, as an end result, the water in the tank doesn't end up cold enough to cause condensation. Condensation doesn't occur until things are cooled off enough.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks