Waterproofing Hardie

Users who are viewing this thread

Outdoorbum

Reaction score
Whats the best method to waterproof Hardie and then paint over it? The Hardie will be set above acrylic shower walls and I've read that Redgard can often crack, and may be difficult to paint. I also thought about kerdi, but I wasn't sure how easily that adhered to Hardie. I'm assuming I'd have to subsequently put a skim coat of thinset over the kerdi, then prime and paint?

Thank you in advance for the knowledge!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sorry I did not see this earlier, so you may have already finished...

Technically, anything above the height of the shower head is considered a dry area. Yes, it may get some splashes, but it's not like the lower shower walls. In most installations, it's just plain drywall that is painted and that works. IOW, it didn't need to be the Hardibacker. Since that panel won't be damaged, even if it did get wet, the task is to keep the paint intact. A quality paint may need a good primer. Hardibacker is EXTREMELY thirsty, and will tend to suck any moisture out of the paint. FWIW, a thinned out coat of RedGard might work as a good primer, but I'd call them to see if it will hold paint well once you'd done that, or their recommendations if it's going to be painted, how best to achieve that. Been awhile since I read their installation instructions, so that might be covered there. If not, their tech support line should straighten that out.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
To prime use UGL Drylok. But no matter what it will be a rough finish so you'll need to skim coat it with joint compound, then prime and paint. Use at least egg shell paint finish. A flat finish will absorb water. RedGard may also work but its questionable if a primer and paint will stick to it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks