Waterproofing a shower

Users who are viewing this thread

NYCremodel

Reaction score
Would like to get a few opinions. My contractor is building the shower with the following layers..

Floor:

- plywood
- no pre-slope
- 40 mil PVC liner
- traditional drain
- sloped mud bed
- laticrete
- thinset & tile

Curb:

- wood
- same 40mil PVC from floor
- concrete board
- laticrete
- thinset & tile

Walls:

- studs
- concrete board
- laticrete (I insisted in this. He claims it is not needed on shower walls and he's never had a shower fail)
- thinset & tile

Would like several opinions on what is good and bad with the above since it is weird mix of traditional and topical waterproofing. Specifically:

1. How bad to have no pre-slope considering pan with laticrete also?
2. Is is ok to have both PVC liner and laticrete?
3. Ok to build curb with laticrete over concrete board?
4. What are concrete board seams (curb and wall) sealed with as I may have to tell them?
5. Is the laticrete necessary on walls like I insisted or would a wall with only concrete board and thinset&tile been ok like my contractor said?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The liner flat on the floor should be a major red flag...plumbing code requires the waterproof layer to be sloped to the drain. WHEN, not if, moisture makes it beneath the setting bed, it must have a path to the drain, and if it is flat, it will NOT flow to the drain and will slightly accumulate. The chemistry of mortar is that after a couple of years, the pH changes and it then starts to smell like a swamp if it is used a lot and not given a chance to thoroughly dry out.

Insist it is built per one of the approved methods which ALL require the liner to be on a sloped bed.

Manny1981

Reaction score
New waterproofing membrane coming soon

New waterproofing membrane information will be posted once final certification is completed. Will keep you updated.

Last edited:

Manny1981

Reaction score
Hey there John,

I understand your skepticism. Bit harsh, but understandable. My own company is Lenfex Kitchen & Bath (www.lenfex.com), but I'm not posting here about that obviously. And you are correct, I do sell the BondTAC products, of course. I am involved, partly, with BondTAC - you see, it's a family owned company. I've helped a bunch of friends with their shower projects, and I've used it in my own shower. I also had my contractor use it to bond "peel & stick" tile to my kitchen floor, and to waterproof and bond Owens Corning XPS insulation to my basement walls. It really IS "that good". As I said, take a look at the videos. You mentioned the flood test - aside from the showers, which were of course tested, take a look at the aquarium video. I think that's a rather extensive test of BondTAC's waterproofing capabilities. And if you don't believe the coverage area, get a quart - honestly - and test it out yourself. Try it on sheetrock and on cement board. One coat on the first, two on the second. I would really like your first hand opinion of the products. I know it's miles above the other waterproofing membranes - and that sounds impossible, but try it. Take a cardboard box, coat the inside, fill it up and let it sit for as long as you like. BondTAC isn't a major corporation (yet), but it's getting there. As for tests and certifications, see below.

The BondTAC products meet the following Canadian testing and certifications currently, and will have the ANSI 118.10 and 118.12 certifications shortly:

ASTM E 96-05 - Standard Test Methods For Water Vapour Transmission Of Materials
ASTM C 1306-08 - Standard Test Method For Hydrostatic Pressure Resistance Of A Liquid-Applied Waterproofing Membrane
CAN/ULC-S102 - Standard Method Of Test For Surface Burning Characteristics Of Building Materials And Assemblies (Yes, BondTAC is also HIGHLY fire resistant when cured)
40 CFR 51.100 - U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Definition Of VOC Exemption
SOR-2009/264 - VOC Concentration Limits For Architectural Coatings

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks