Waterproof gate valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Willl

Reaction score
Does anybody here know of any gate valves that are waterproof. What I mean by that is the gate valve will be submerged completely in water. Thanks:)

rudytheplbr

36 Journeyman Plbr
Reaction score
Water Proof Gate Valve

Well if it doesn't leak from the inside, it won't leak from the outside. That said, no way would I use a 'gate' valve.
Gate Valves tend to leak through the gate in the valve after time of use, the gate causes turbulence, which wears down the gate, and when you shut the valve, water will leak past the gate.
I recommend Ball valves for use, where I would use a gate valve. Ball valves open completely, and there is no turbulence thru the valve since the open ball provides a smooth surface to flowing water.

Good Luck,

Willl

Reaction score
The valve will be used on a water fountain and it will be used to throttle it to get the correct flow to the fountain. This valve will be completely submerged in water so all parts must be waterproof so it doesn't rust on me.

I originally just had a gate valve to throttle the fountain to the correct height but the part on the valve that makes up the handle you turn to cause the gate to go up and down just rusted off on me so I need one that has all its components completely waterproof.

Perhaps a ball valve will work better than a gate valve to throttle it. I won't be screwing the valve up and down that much. thanks

shag_fu

Reaction score
there are 2 types of ball valves you can use. Full-port and regular. You might want a full port which gives the least resistance and will give you maximum flow.

Willl

Reaction score
Thanks,:D

If I use a pvc gate valve I assume the handle shaft etc. is all of non rusting material. Mind to direct me to a page online. I can't find it. Perhaps I'm just not good at searching for things online. Thanks

Rombo

Reaction score
i would use a globe valve and just take off the handle when you have your throttling set up.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
For throttling purposes the best valve is a globe pattern one. But none of them come with brass or stainless steel handles.
You may be able to find a "loose key" globe valve, or maybe roll your own from a loose-key hose bib and a stop valve from the same manufacturer. Those would adjust with either the provided key, or a regular screwdriver. They can stand submerging, since the exterior is all brass.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks