Water won't stop running

Users who are viewing this thread

Virgil Keeley

Reaction score
Novice DiYer here. I am replacing the hardware in the shower and the previous was a moen with a 1225 cartridge. I installed a compatible Danco shower handle and when we turned the water on at the mains it just started pouring out the copper pipe where the faucet is not yet installed. It doesn't matter what I do with the faucet handle the pressure doesn't change, the exact same amount of water pours out. I put a faucet on and the same thing happened. I did not replace the cartridge, but I pulled it out a few times, and put it back in.

I watched a load of videos and feel like I have the information straight, but I must be missing something. I was also wondering - on the stem of the cartridge there is a hole on one side. Which side is that supposed to go on? At 12 or 6 oclock or does it matter? The cartridge is from when the house was built in 1988. Could it just be a case that it is in need of replacing?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The O-rings may have been damaged. Or, the thing may not be fully seated. It can be a tight fit if you don't put some silicon plumber's grease on them.

Virgil Keeley

Reaction score
Thankyou for you help. I replaced the cartridge, and I also pushed the keyhole type piece that goes around the pipe and inside the escutcheon a little further. because it was sticking out too far the cartridge wasn't completely sealing when the faucet handle was pushed in. All fixed.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some cartridge designs can be really tough to insert if you don't lube the O-rings up with some silicon plumber's grease.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks