Water well pump cycling

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Not The Dog, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Not The Dog

Not The Dog New Member

U.S. Navy, Retired
    The water pressure on my home water well will be good for a couple minutes and then it drops to almost nothing. Shut off the water and it comes back to pressure. (Not sure how long it takes) With power to the pump, I can hear a sort of hum at the well cap. Sounds like the pump is running when it is up to pressure. When I cut the power, the humming stops.

About 6 months ago I replaced the holding tank, the submersible pump and the pressure gauge because the tank bladder gave out.

I have checked the pressure in the tank - it's good, and no water came out.
    I have cleaned the contacts - I might do that again. Not sure if I did a good job

What's weird is I can water the garden with a hose and it does not lose pressure. But, take a shower, wash clothes, etc., it does. When I water the garden, I keep my thumb on the end of the hose for some resistance. Could that be keeping the pressure up??

Thanks for any help.

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

What is the pressure at the pressure tank when the inside plumbing water pressure drops to almost nothing?

Regarding the hum, are you saying that the hum is present, even when you have not been using water for 15 minutes?

That is not a good test. The Schrader valve is at the top, so water would not come out of that, unless the tank had lost all of its air.
    Do you have an above-ground check valve? Something weird is going on.
    I doubt it. Take your thumb off, and find out.

How is the pipe to the garden hose run. Is its pipe fed from before the pressure tank, or after?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Not The Dog

Not The Dog New Member

U.S. Navy, Retired
    Reach4 - Thanks for the reply. But it is all moot at this point. I looked at a couple videos then went back and did a better job cleaning the contacts. Lo and Behold, it works. I will probably get a new pressure switch and gauge soon.

Thanks for being here. This blog is great, but, I could spend too much time reading all this good gouge.

5. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    The bladder gave out on your last tank and the pump went out. The pressure switch points are burned. All of this tells me you are cycling the pump on/off too much. Pressure in the house will be better when you get the pump working correctly, but would be even stronger still if you had constant pressure instead of cycling pressure.

6. Not The Dog

Not The Dog New Member

U.S. Navy, Retired
    Valveman, The pump did not go out but we replaced it.

Just now I replaced the pressure switch and gauge. Pump came on - got up to pressure (60 lbs) - pump shut off and the pressure dropped to 40 in about 3 1/2 minutes. Pump kicks in and it starts all over. We checked all faucets, under sinks, hose bibs. There is no evidence (puddles) in the yard.

I believe (from reading a lot of this forum and watching YouTube) it is most likely a leak somewhere in the system. Or the foot valve is bad.

Thanks again.

7. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    I think you are on the right track.

8. JohnCT

JohnCT Member

Pitless adapter.. that's a lot of water leaking somewhere. Pop off the top of the well head and look down with a flashlight. If it's the adapter you'll see a waterfall.

John