Water Well Line - Sediment Filter - Expansion Tank - Water Softener - H2O Htr. Order?

Users who are viewing this thread

Chuck B

sea-bee
Reaction score
Have gutted a small 650 small up north (Michigan) cabin and am replumbing it all. Just a small sediment filter there originally and water heater which i removed as they were old.

Galvanized coming in and will go to copper. dielectric union, 6" brass pipe?? What is the best order...water line to sediment filter, where does expansion tank connect and how, then water soft (any good makes suggest for sed filter and softener) then to water heater and out. also is it a good idea to run a hose bib for watering lawn before the filter? Please advise and thanks a lot!

Probably a silly question but have not noticed any kind of jumper cable for electrical grounding along water well line - not grounded i guess like a city line thru basement cement and water meters. did see a stake near the electric panel. guessing that grounds the elctrical system. thanks for the advice.

Jed1154

Reaction score
I am not a plumber, but the way mine is set up is that the sediment filter (A vuflow, I think) is installed AFTER the pressure tank. I was specifically instructed to never install anything between the well and tank. So, its filtered there before going into the softener and into the house. I leave my 'outside' water unfiltered.

My filter catches all sorts of sand.

Chuck B

sea-bee
Reaction score
thanks. have heard that a "t" is often used from the well source, with one side of the "t' going to the exspansion tank and the other toward the sediment filter. does that sound problematic?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks