Water well just for sprinkler system

Users who are viewing this thread

Don Quixote

Reaction score
Good morning gentlemen,
I am a new homeowner in search of some opinions. The builder had a 90' water well with a 3/4 hp sub pump and pressure tank put in that will not produce enough for my home and sprinkler needs during the summer. The soil is hard clay and I am told the refill rate is too slow. Now they are talking about drilling one just for my sprinkler system and say that it will not need a pressure tank. My questions are on the hookup of said new well without pressure tank.

1) Will a 24v coil/ 240V contactor work with rainbird system controller to activate new pump?
2) Should I have them install a pressure switch on the discharge line to prevent burning up the pump due to what they call "deadhead" issues?
3) If pressure switch is the way to go, what should the pressure switch be set to? What would the pressure be on a sub pump that has no pressure tank? I am told that sprinkler system should only need 20-30psi to work, so if I set it at 0 for low and 40psi for high, would this save the motor by shutting it off if sprinkler system valves did not open and pressure built up.
4) They are talking about going 180' deep, setting it at about 160', with a Webtrol 10 gpm, 1 hp sub pump. Then they would take the master valve out and hook directly to sprinkler line, leaving the 90' well to run the home. Just me and wife should be enough.

Thanks and appreciate the help,
Don

Don Quixote

Reaction score
Also one last question,

How far apart should these water wells be?

Thanks,

Don

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Sometimes wells should be a long distance apart, but sometimes the water is only in one area. Yes you can use a pump start relay to turn on and off the pump, as long as you don't want to use faucets or hydrants. With a pump start relay from the irrigation controller you don't need a pressure tank or pressure switch. But you do want to match the zone sizes to the pump. A small zone will cause high pressure and a large zone will cause low pressure. I would also install a pressure relief valve just in case.

Greenmonster123

Reaction score
30-40 lbs is the absolute minimum "working" or "dynamic" pressure I would want. I shoot for 50 lbs when designing systems with rotors. Mist heads can be a little less

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks