Water test results in..need help

Users who are viewing this thread

barlow96

Reaction score
Ok. So how should I approach my water issues? Contact chlorination tank followed by water softener? Would I need a GAC filter?

Aaroninnh

Reaction score
Ok. So how should I approach my water issues? Contact chlorination tank followed by water softener? Would I need a GAC filter?

Whats the purpose of the chlorination? Ive read the thread but can't tell. Your iron level isn't super high.

Reach4

Reaction score

Aaroninnh

Reaction score
Whats the purpose of the chlorination? Ive read the thread but can't tell. Your iron level isn't super high.

Sorry, missed the IRB.

If you do chlorine injection, then you may want a GAC afterwords to get rid of any extra free chlorine. However im out of my depth on this, so hopefully someone smarter will weigh in.

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes it is electric and if I remember correctly they are probably like the size of a frosted flake cereal. There is usually around 1/2 - 3:4 gallons worth once per year
your water is slightly alkaline. alkaline water deposits scale. A softener will further raise the pH by around .3. where did you obtain the test sample? does your home have any galvanized piping installed?

barlow96

Reaction score
your water is slightly alkaline. alkaline water deposits scale. A softener will further raise the pH by around .3. where did you obtain the test sample? does your home have any galvanized piping installed?

a local lab analyzed my water sample (pace analytical). All the pipes are pex

The water sample was taken right from the pressure tank. I’m sure the filter is helping with the actual iron but the IRB sucks. So contact tank followed by GAC filter followed by softener?

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
a local lab analyzed my water sample (pace analytical). All the pipes are pex

The water sample was taken right from the pressure tank. I’m sure the filter is helping with the actual iron but the IRB sucks. So contact tank followed by GAC filter followed by softener?
The amount of iron or manganese present is a limiting factor in IRB or IOB (iron oxidizing bacteria) production. With such low amounts of iron present in testing, I suspect you may have more manganese than suspected, or more iron than reported. It could just be that the sample sent for testing wasn't representative of the actual conditions. Chlorine injection is best for killing IRB and oxidizing ferrous iron. While H2O2 is best for oxidizing manganese, but not so good for treating IRB/IOB. according to your test results an AIO3 ozone unit should do the trick. It's designed to treat 2ppm iron and 1 ppm manganese (as well as kill IRB) but, if ACTUAL iron or manganese content is higher, then Cl injection would be preferable. you'll want to inject after the pressure tank, followed by retention sufficient to provide 35 minutes of contact time (usually 120 gallons. Then a GAC tank to remove residual chlorine.

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
you could do a test. fill a clear glass with raw water, put a small amount of Cl in it and let it sit for a while, then see how much iron or manganese has settled to the bottom. you can then carefully (without disturbing the sample) pour off the water to see how much accumulation there is, as well as the color of the precipitate. as far as that current tank goes, as other have suggested, it could be a divider separating two different medias. To test to see if it's compacted media, you can put the system in backwash for a minute, then hit around the tank with your palm a bunch of times below where you think the media may be compacted. Sometimes it's sufficient to dislodge compacted media.

barlow96

Reaction score
So I did the water with some bleach in a cup (post filter) and all I got were some very small white flakes in the water. Not sure if you can see it in the photo or not but would this be the hardness in the water?? 33B49319-A068-4F90-8FAD-86EDC58703F8.jpeg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks