Water test results are in (finally) - so what resin/system do I need

Users who are viewing this thread

Plant.One

Just here for the Beer.
Reaction score
NTL finally got my results back to me - 3½ weeks later (i hand delivered my sample on the 24th)

quick refresher before i post the results. farm well, about 80'. sulfurish odor, bit of taste. some mild rust staining. dad wont do a salt based system (perception issue, so hard stop there) so trying to get an iron/sulphur/manganese type filter in play, likely an AIO and need to sort out exactly what resin system i should be chasing after - ie: KL10 (katalox light), Catalatic carbon, etc

heres my origional thread if anyone wants to back read

so water test results as follows

coliform/e.coli - absent
Calcium - 56.6 ppm
iron - 0.330 ppm
magnesium - 16.96 ppm
maganese - 0.017 ppm
silica - 15.1 ppm
Sodium - 6ppm
Strontium - 0.150 ppm
zinc - 0.017 ppm
alkalinity (CaCO3) - 190 ppm
hardness - 210 ppm
pH - 7.8
TDS - 230 pp,
Turbidity - 2.6 NTU
chloride - 6.4 ppm
sulfate - 17.0 ppm

following all listed ND/Undetectable
aluminum, arsenic, barium cadmium, chromium, copper, lead, mercury, Nickle, potassium, selenium, silver, uranium, bromide, fluoride, Nitrate Nitrogen, Nitrite Nitrogen, Ortho Phosphate

so... whats the best resin to put in an AIO system to handle that much sulfate?

Plant.One

Just here for the Beer.
Reaction score
anyone? i'd really appreciate some input. the company's i've talked to have given me several different answers, and i'm assuming that primarily its because those are the product lines they sell.

CamuaS

Reaction score
NTL finally got my results back to me - 3½ weeks later (i hand delivered my sample on the 24th)

quick refresher before i post the results. farm well, about 80'. sulfurish odor, bit of taste. some mild rust staining. dad wont do a salt based system (perception issue, so hard stop there) so trying to get an iron/sulphur/manganese type filter in play, likely an AIO and need to sort out exactly what resin system i should be chasing after - ie: KL10 (katalox light), Catalatic carbon, etc

heres my origional thread if anyone wants to back read

so water test results as follows

coliform/e.coli - absent
Calcium - 56.6 ppm
iron - 0.330 ppm
magnesium - 16.96 ppm
maganese - 0.017 ppm
silica - 15.1 ppm
Sodium - 6ppm
Strontium - 0.150 ppm
zinc - 0.017 ppm
alkalinity (CaCO3) - 190 ppm
hardness - 210 ppm
pH - 7.8
TDS - 230 pp,
Turbidity - 2.6 NTU
chloride - 6.4 ppm
sulfate - 17.0 ppm

following all listed ND/Undetectable
aluminum, arsenic, barium cadmium, chromium, copper, lead, mercury, Nickle, potassium, selenium, silver, uranium, bromide, fluoride, Nitrate Nitrogen, Nitrite Nitrogen, Ortho Phosphate

so... whats the best resin to put in an AIO system to handle that much sulfate?
Is the sulfate value within limit limit value? Iron, Alkalinity, Hardness re bad in your water results.

Reach4

Reaction score
Your sulfate is fairly low as a drinking water component. I suspect your actual problem is H2S smell. A softener will not help that.

I expect your hardness, iron, and manganese can be taken care of by a softener. Treat with Iron Out or citric acid periodically or Res-up or ResCare (phosphoric acid) dispenser.

But if H2S is a problem, there are various things that can address the iron and H2S together. But I suspect that was all discussed on your previous thread.

Plant.One

Just here for the Beer.
Reaction score
i cant go with a softner (dad's perception issues - he's stubborn, so just please, case closed or we'd have had one decades ago), so yes the main issue is some iron staining (mild), taste, and sulfur smell. i was under the assumption that the sulfate value was somehow tied to the H2S issue.

ill also note, the only filtration we've run in the past is just a basic carbon block. which if not changed about every 3 weeks ends up with the taste/odor getting way worse and we have to do a bleach shock of the piping to get rid of it. so dad hasnt been running anything in there for a while now and just dealing with the water as is. he doesnt care, mom tolerates it, likewise so do we when we visit. just trying to make their quality of life a little better by eliminating those issues for them.

as noted, i do have a pair of big blues to put inline with this AIO iron filter unit i'd like to get, so input on where best to place them (pre, post, one of each, etc) would be appreicated. like i said, rather do this right once.

Last edited:

Plant.One

Just here for the Beer.
Reaction score
But if H2S is a problem, there are various things that can address the iron and H2S together. But I suspect that was all discussed on your previous thread.
and that all came down to "you need to get a water test done before we can make recommendations" so i did :)

Taylorjm

Reaction score
i cant go with a softner (dad's perception issues - he's stubborn, so just please, case closed or we'd have had one decades ago), so yes the main issue is some iron staining (mild), taste, and sulfur smell. i was under the assumption that the sulfate value was somehow tied to the H2S issue.

ill also note, the only filtration we've run in the past is just a basic carbon block. which if not changed about every 3 weeks ends up with the taste/odor getting way worse and we have to do a bleach shock of the piping to get rid of it. so dad hasnt been running anything in there for a while now and just dealing with the water as is. he doesnt care, mom tolerates it, likewise so do we when we visit. just trying to make their quality of life a little better by eliminating those issues for them.

as noted, i do have a pair of big blues to put inline with this AIO iron filter unit i'd like to get, so input on where best to place them (pre, post, one of each, etc) would be appreicated. like i said, rather do this right once.
The sulfates are not the same as the sulfur smell you have. Sulfates can give you a laxative effect in large quantities, but yours is very low. Your iron value is also very low so I'm surprised your getting staining. A softener would sure solve everything.

Reach4

Reaction score
and that all came down to "you need to get a water test done before we can make recommendations" so i did :)
Chances are that your no-salt father's sense of smell is not that good now. So the slight H2S may not bother him.

But an H2O2 injector can get rid of H2S and precipitate iron and MN. A GAC tank can filter out the precipitate an remove residual H2S. That method is sure fire. Katalox is not so sure-fire.

Well and plumbing and WH sanitizing may have a wonderful effect for an unknown amount of time.

A powered anode in the WH can protect like magnesium while not contributing to H2S generation. I suspect I said that all before, and did not just say you needed a water test. Testing for H2S is not worthwhile. It is hard and must be completed faster than even overnight shipping can do, plus the nose does a better job.

My Centaur Carbon base system with bleach solution regen does pretty well against iron and H2S. The chlorine rinses out during regen.

OK, there is a way to soften your father's water. Have a service, or you do it, bring in an already-regenerated softener tank, and swap that out as needed. Maybe monthly. It used to be a widely available service in the US, and is still available in many parts of the world where labor is cheaper. But still, that does not deal with H2S. You could regen at your house. Then get a hoist for your pickup, to lift the regenerated and spent tanks into the bed of your pickup.

H2S can also be dealt with other ways. A well can fill an atmospheric tank. H2S has a chance to outgas. Then a pressure pump brings tank water into the house piping.

Plant.One

Just here for the Beer.
Reaction score
you never did only say get a test, but it was recomended, and i did so so that we had facts to deal with instead of speculation of what was in the water.

its not a ton of staining, but over time there is. the biggest thing is whites turning rusty/dingy colored over a period of time. mom uses iron out in the laundry to help. i'd love for her to not have to deal with that, along with needing to use CLR to clean the tub and sinks. i'd rather not she have to use those kinds of chemicals if i can help eliminate it with a few hundred bucks into a AIO system.

your recommendation of Centaur catalitic carbon for media is helpful, will a fleck 5600 SXT allow for bleach intake during the backflush cycle?

Plant.One

Just here for the Beer.
Reaction score
The sulfates are not the same as the sulfur smell you have. Sulfates can give you a laxative effect in large quantities, but yours is very low. Your iron value is also very low so I'm surprised your getting staining. A softener would sure solve everything.
i cant agree with you more. we've tried to talk them into it for decades now. mom has always been on board, but dad is stubborn and with an opinion on them like a 60 year old bear trap you found in the woods. rusted shut and you couldn't budge it with a prybar.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks