Water Test Results - Advice for softener and filtration

Users who are viewing this thread

Brody Reb

Reaction score
Just got our standard water test back from National Testing Labs. This is our first well and I would really appreciate your advice on softener and filtration recommendations.

5 person household with average water usage. 1" main. 15 GPM. 50-70 psi.

Planning to install in this order.

01.jpg

02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg

Whole house carbon filter
Looking into a matching 12x52 tank with Fleck valve, but not sure about the media based on the water test results.
Considering Katalox Light to remove the trace iron and manganese unless something like Centaur carbon would be better. Would iron levels of 0.164 require AIO valve?

Softener

Fleck 2510SXT 12x52 tank 64,000 grain
Which resin should I use? Worth upgrading to 8% crosslinked or fine mesh resin?

Big blue 20" 5 micron
Viqua UV Max E4 (8-28 GPM)

Planning to install and setup the following myself. I'm comfortable with plumbing, loading the softener and filtration media, and learning to program the valve. I understand the consensus of online orders but local dealers in Northern Virginia area seem to have controlled the supply house offerings. I will likely order from Aqua Science that ships gravel and media unloaded with the funnel and necessary equipment.

Thank you for your time and help!

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
At your level of iron, the softener can do the iron job itself. Maybe add some Iron Out or citric acid to the salt.

A 1.5 cuft softener would be sufficient. I infer you have your own well, so 8% crosslinked resin should be fine.

The 5810sxt is being discontinued, but they plan to offer parts for a good while. I think the pistons were prone to failure.

Brody Reb

Reaction score
Thanks Reach. Is there any disadvantage to using Katalox Light instead of Centaur besides the higher backwash GPM requirement? I wanted to remove manganese even at .034 mg/L.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would not think so, but I am not sure.

Zenon2cubed

Reaction score
You do have some VOCs, carbon and catalytic carbon are both used to filter VOCs. I would confirm Katalox can do the same.

Brody Reb

Reaction score
Like many advertisements, Katalox Light looks like the solution to many problems. However, I read that Ph needs to be 8.0 or higher for Katalox to properly filter manganese. My Ph is not high enough.

I think I will go with your suggestions. The iron and manganese levels are low enough. Hopefully safe to assume they will be removed after going through catalytic carbon and the water softener.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
My suggestion (if there is not an H2S problem) was to just use the softener and no separate iron+Mn filter. I would leave space to add a potential future backwashing filter if you go that route.

Brody Reb

Reaction score
My suggestion (if there is not an H2S problem) was to just use the softener and no separate iron+Mn filter. I would leave space to add a potential future backwashing filter if you go that route.

Thank you, I plan to go with your suggestion.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would add a boiler drain valve after the softener, so that if you will have handy soft water faucet for future use or sampling or mounting a GHT pressure gauge.

Brody Reb

Reaction score
I would add a boiler drain valve after the softener, so that if you will have handy soft water faucet for future use or sampling or mounting a GHT pressure gauge.
Another good idea as always.

I've taken valuable advice from you in the past. I plan to update those posts soon as I've now completed and am in the tinkering phase. Thank you

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks