Water temperature and corrosivity?

Users who are viewing this thread

TimmyG

Reaction score
In a previous post I mentioned having a pex connector leak on my hot line from the water heater.

In the process of cutting the pex to remove and replace the connector, a 3/4 x 1/2 x 3/4 Tee, the 1/2 side sheared right off just handling the pipe to get my cutter on there. It was paper thin and crumbling away. Running a finger inside leaves an obvious metallic slick on it. The rate of decay is astonishing to me.

Considering its awful repair location I decided to preemptively replace the cold water Tee as well.

Its thinner too but not nearly as bad as the hot water side.

Would the temperature of the hot water increase its corrosivity?

I'm on a well with low Ph, just moved in in June so dont know exactly how low, just know it's low from test strips.
House is only 15 years old and now I feel like every brass connector on my hot side is a time bomb waiting to flood my walls.

My thoughts are now preparing myself for replacement of the whole system with the poly connectors.
For those with pex experience, are the poly connectors decent?

Putting brass back in feels like a bandaid.

Secondly I feel I definitely need to fix my ph issues and hope that will slow my current rate of brass decay, buying me some time before I have to redo the house.

Any suggestions?
I stumbled upon info about calcite filters but don't know a lot about them or how frequently they need replacement.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If your pH is low (acidic), it can really mess up lots of things over time. Yes, heat speeds up chemical reactions. You need to treat your water to raise the pH...then, you will stop degradation of existing things, and forestall many future problems which would include faucets, shower valves, the guts of a washing machine, dish washer, etc..

You really want to get your water's pH closer to neutral.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks