Water Tap to Refrigerator Upgrade ?

Users who are viewing this thread

DMY

Reaction score
Noticed that my water line to my fridge does some serious shaking whenever I draw cold water from the fridge. (see attached photo) Are there any taps or connections that would be advisable to replace this setup ? thanks

Attachments

• Water Tap to Refrigerator.png
    Water Tap to Refrigerator.png
    85.2 KB · Views: 260

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First off, those saddle valves are a leak waiting to happen. They're easy to install. They may not work once you try to turn them off for any reason.

The valves in a typical refrigerator are usually what is called a solenoid valve. Any quick acting valve can cause the hose/tubing/pipe to jump because they shut off fast. Think driving along and hitting a brick wall...the water, nor anything else, doesn't like to stop quickly - it wants to keep going. The way to fix this is with a hammer arrestor. These have an internal air bladder that the water bounces off of, to absorb the impact of the water stopping, sort of like an airbag, but designed to be reusable repeatedly. There are several manufacturers. This is one of the larger ones https://siouxchief.com/products/supply/arresters-and-trap-primers/arresters/minirester . I think you could use 660-GTR0. To work best, it should be as close to the valve at the frig as possible.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I prefer installing an angle stop with a 1/4" outlet for the ice-maker tube, instead of the undependable saddle thing you have.

DMY

Reaction score
Is there an "angle stop" that can be installed "in line". Looks like my setup is a tap that leads to another faucet somewhere

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
Enjoy.

Attachments

• 697285500648.jpg
    697285500648.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 217
  • icemaker0418-1024x1024.jpg
    icemaker0418-1024x1024.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 230

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Adding something inline is a little tougher if the two ends of the pipe won't move enough to allow you to insert the ends into the new piece after you cut out a section. This may entail making another cut and a repair coupling. A repair coupling doesn't have an internal stop. You slide it over one end of the pipe all the way so it's flush with the end. Align the other piece, then slide the coupling so it is centered over the space, then solder it in place. An alternative would be to use something like a Sharkbite slip push coupling which does not use any solder. It can fill up to about a 2" gap. You put the slip end onto one pipe, get the other bits aligned, then using the tool provided to release the grippers, slip it back onto the stub completing the connection.

Sharkbite push slip coupling.png

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Noticed that my water line to my fridge does some serious shaking whenever I draw cold water from the fridge. (see attached photo) Are there any taps or connections that would be advisable to replace this setup ? thanks
I don't know why people are having troubles with the saddle valve. I've put them in 10 years ago and no problem.

Reach4

Reaction score
I put a saddle valve on when I installed a humidifier. Since it was galvanized pipe, I drilled the hole in the pipe first. No leak. Hot pipe. I left the existing saddle valve that was in place in a cold pipe. It turned off fine. I disconnected the output tubing on that. No leak there either. Very limited experience. I have experienced leaks on expansion pex and compression fittings. Bad technique on my part.

My plan is to replace that saddle valve with a tee etc when I replace that line with PEX. My motivation is to eliminate the galvanized.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
If you never open/close a saddle valve, it can last a long time. Once the rubber seal gets old, you tend to get leaks if you do.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
instant-hot-stop-2.jpg

I saw this the other day. The end that went to the kitchen faucet had blown out and was spraying water. I guess it wasn't the saddle clamps though.
And what's with all the tape I found? None of that was needed.

instant-hot-stop-3.jpg

Do not do this at home folks!

instant-hot-stop-1.jpg

Dahl makes some fittings for a double stop that gives you some options. That's the one on the left of the picture. The one on the right is Brasscraft.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks