water tank questions

Users who are viewing this thread

davesnothome

DIY Member
Reaction score
While taking off the old 1/2" copper that used to connect to my water heater (rental unit) undoing the line on the top coming out of the tank the whole thing came undone the internal fitting as well. Attached to that was what looked to be an anode to remove particals from the hot water tank. It was caked with what looked like calcium to the point where I could hardly get it out of the tank. The rod looked to be about 3/16 in diameter and about 3ft long attached to the upper pipe fitting. Long story short...When taking it out a big chunk of the gunk that was attached to the rod fell off back into the tank...I continued to take out the anode and cleaned all that white calcium off the rod and re-installed the fitting and my new 3/4 supply and return. Question is, will the pieces that fell off get caught in my pipes later on or is there a way to remove them from the tank. I drained the tank....but nothing came out the bottom. Or will they re-attach themselves to the anode since I cleaned it off?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
They will just sit on the bottom along with other stuff...was it a Bradford White heater...or an old Low*s heater

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, the anode rod in a glass-lined steel tank is not a filter...it is a sacrificial anode. It literally gets eaten away in the water bath over time. It is there to help prevent the same action from happening to the tank...it is just that the metal in the anode is more susceptable to being used up so the steel doesn't become iron oxide (rust). If the anode is replenished periodically, the tank is likely to last longer, but few people do. The metal in the anode is more reactive than the iron, so it goes first. WHen it's gone, things then start attacking the tank lining. Normally, the things don't require cleaning, only replacing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks