Water Tank Pressure Switch - Cut Off

Users who are viewing this thread

PAHomeOwner

Reaction score
Hello. First time post. I have a Boshart 40-60 pressure switch on my water tank. Currently, the cut in is at 40 psi and the cut out is at 70 psi. I'm trying to adjust the differential to be more of 20 psi, however the hex nut on the shorter differential screw shaft is not compressing the spring at all. Continuing to loosen it does nothing to the cutoff pressure. Is it normal for the spring to be completely loose on the adjustment shaft?

Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
It is pretty normal for the Square D/ Pumptrol switches that the spring is pretty loose or loose to hit the 20 differential.

PAHomeOwner

Reaction score
It is pretty normal for the Square D/ Pumptrol switches that the spring is pretty loose or loose to hit the 20 differential.
Thanks Reach4 for your reply. I've loosened the nut on the differential post all the way to the top and the cutoff pressure will not go below 70 psi (roughly), with cut in still at 40 psi. The pump seems to be cycling fine, just with a higher cutoff pressure than I would like. Thanks again.

Reach4

Reaction score
Sounds like you should get a new pressure switch. They are not expensive.

I presume your pressure switch and pressure gauge are connected closely together.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Minerals can build up under the switch's diaphragm which can increase the spread. The diaphragm could get damaged if you try to remove it to clean so best to have a spare switch on hand before taking it apart.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks