Water table on my site

Users who are viewing this thread

Runekey_69

Reaction score
United States Geological Survey state geological surveys show that around my site there are fluctuations in well depths historically drilled.

My site is hilly woods with flat land and a narrow river running through this flat land.

So the surveys of the area show wells 7 feet to 70 feet deep.

I think it would be best to drill down somewhere kind lower than a spot from a hill but would there be any difference in well depth-below the soil and would I hit the same aquafer? Would location of well placement offer any benefits?

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Some places you can drill and find water anywhere. Other places you need to hit the one X on the 200 acre ranch to find any water. A local well driller is the best place to get advice. They will know the area.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think it would be best to drill down somewhere kind lower than a spot from a hill but would there be any difference in well depth-below the soil and would I hit the same aquafer? Would location of well placement offer any benefits?
Commonly the septic system is on the downhill side of the house. Typically the well is on the opposite side of the house.

In dry areas with deep wells, I expect that finding water is much harder. I would expect Wisconsin to be a question of how deep will the well be, or even if a sand point is sufficient. But sand points would be more of a problem in places that may need to operate in the winter.

Yes, water can come from more than one level. In areas that are not rock the whole way down, which I presume includes you, you would normally want 5 inch PVC casing the whole way, with fine slot-screens to admit water and block sediment. You would want a pitless adapter delivering water to the house below the frost line. 4-inch PVC can be sufficient, but that limits the type of pitless adapter that you can have. As Valveman says, your driller will know what is best. However I would ask to add a flow inducer sleeve to the pump if the casing is not 4-inch, even if the driller does not usually do that.

Tell the driller that your water use will not be that much, and that you want to minimize sediment in the water-- assuming that will be true. If you are going to be doing a lot of irrigation, then the driller can choose bigger slots and bigger gravel, and you will tolerate more sediment/sand in favor of high-volume water. Low sediment will usually be preferable for a house.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks