Water Spigot Pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Jonny John

Reaction score
I am not sure of the type of spiqot I have. I know it has a gate. Not sure of the brand. I will take a look and maybe take a picture for you guys if that would help determine?

Jonny John

Reaction score
The pressure reading indicates that you have enough pressure, and there is a restriction in flow.
What hose bibb is it? Some hose bibbs don't have a very big opening and they restrict flow. American Valve makes a ball valve hose bibb that is full flow, available at Lowe's. The ball valve hose bibbs at Home Depot are from Mueller and they have a small ball and restrict like 2/3 of the flow.
The piping going to the spiquot is 1/2 copper piping. Is this okay?

Flapper

Reaction score
I am not sure of the type of spiqot I have. I know it has a gate. Not sure of the brand. I will take a look and maybe take a picture for you guys if that would help determine?
I've never heard of a hose bibb with a gate valve, usually they have a globe valve or ball valve. It's probably a globe valve (piston with rubber washer that presses on the hole when screwed in to stop the water)

Jonny John

Reaction score
I'm sorry I must of been calling it something different. The spiqot handle to shut it on and off is a gate. I will take a picture of the spiqot in the next hour or so to show all what i'm working with.

Never really paid attention to the water pressure to the spiqot until now. Been living in the home for 4yrs.

Jonny John

Reaction score
Do you feel I should replace the spiqot? I can pick one up at HD or Lowe's before heading home to take a look at it

Reach4

Reaction score
I never have both spiqot's running at the same time. I mostly only use the spiqot in the front of my house. I
???
If the pressure gauge is on a spigot, I would not say that spigot is running.

When you have the pressure gauge on one spigot, and you open the other spigot, what happens to the water pressure on the gauge?

Jonny John

Reaction score
I posted a picture earlie when I put the pressure gauge on the spiqot.

I will take the spiqot off and test the water flow.

I would guess the flow has always been the same. Like I said I never really paid attention to the flow cause I never really used the spiqot

Reach4

Reaction score
I posted a picture earlie when I put the pressure gauge on the spiqot.

I will take the spiqot off and test the water flow.
No. Don't take the pressure gauge off for the test. Get a helper to open the *other* spigot while you watch the gauge. Alternatively, open the other spigot, and go around look at the pressure gauge before shutting off the open spigot. The purpose is to see if there is a restriction before the point where the supplies for the two spigots separate.

Your pressure is high when there is no flow. Yet you get low flow. Why? A restriction somewhere. The restriction could be from various things. One example would be that there is a clogged filter restricting the water. If the pressure stays high while the other faucet is open with poor flow, that would be informative. If the pressure stays pretty high at the gauge when you open the other spigot spilling the water out, that will mean something else.

Jonny John

Reaction score
Here is the spigot I have in front of my house. I removed it. Shut off valve going to these spigots looks good as well. Should I replace the spigot?

Attachments

• IMG_3173.JPG
    IMG_3173.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_3171.JPG
    IMG_3171.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_3170.JPG
    IMG_3170.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_3169.JPG
    IMG_3169.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 182

MKS

Reaction score
HJ and Reach4 want you to find the problem before spending money.
That said it can't hurt to replace it.
When I said investigate disassembly I ment to remove the stem from the hose bib/ spigot. Leaving the hose bib body attached so you could check flow it would be flowing outside the house. In the condition you are in now you can't turn the water back on without making a mess inside the house.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A 1/2" pipe, using cold water, shouldn't be used to provide more than about 5gpm. That doesn't mean that it might not provide more than that, but from a design standpoint and longevity, that's about the limit. Run water into a bucket and see how much you get. With the pressure you have and the 1/2" pipe, if you're getting less, there's a restriction somewhere. Without being there, it's nearly impossible to tell.

A soda straw (about the size used for a water dispenser) and a fire hose could have exactly the same pressure, but you'd get LOTS more volume from the fire hose. The reason is the smaller pipes create more friction, and slow things down.

Jonny John

Reaction score
So I put the pressure gauge on the spigot in front of my house. Turned on the water and getting 80 PSI. When I turn on the spigot in the back of the house at the same time, the front house spigot goes down to 0. Once I turned the back spigot off, the front spigot goes back up to 80.

Jadnashua: so you're saying that the main problem is the 1/2" pipe? I'm not sure if there is a restriction somewhere at the pipes are going through the walls. Only pipes I can see are the one's in my crawl space.

Reach4

Reaction score
So I put the pressure gauge on the spigot in front of my house. Turned on the water and getting 80 PSI. When I turn on the spigot in the back of the house at the same time, the front house spigot goes down to 0. Once I turned the back spigot off, the front spigot goes back up to 80.
This tells you that the problem is not either spigot, and it is not near either spigot. It says that the blockage is before the supply pipe splits to the different spigots.

Maybe monitor the pressure gauge with the spigots off, but with the various faucets running in turn indoors. That includes the hot water of the tub. Try a toilet flush. Trying the other water using things inside while checking the pressure outdoors could give more info.

Last edited:

Flapper

Reaction score
So there are three places that the fault could be:
  • The valve controlling the spigots
  • The pipe between the valve and the spigots
  • The spigots (which we ruled out)
To rule out the valve, you'd probably have to cut the pipe after the valve, and test it from there. Maybe put a tee there, so you can test it, and plug it when finished.

Reach4

Reaction score
Could it be the piping before the valve?
That test I proposed in post 36 was to test for that. If you saw a big pressure drop at the outside pressure gauge when you turn on the bath tub or kitchen sink etc, then the problem would be before the valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks