Water Softner Sizing Recommendations for unique situation

Users who are viewing this thread

Brizine

Reaction score
First, thanks in advance, I am here to be educated. I have a unique situation that I need help on. I'll start with the well water test results. The lab came back with these numbers.

Total Hardness 284mg/L which equals 16.6 grains by my calculations
Alkalinity 256mg/L
ph 7.53
negative for bacteria

I have a 1500ft house with two occupants, so 2 x 75= 150 gallons per day. Now the unique part, I also run a business off the same well that has a 2400ft building that averages 600 gallons a day, five days a week, 5.5 months a year. We fill a 1500 gallon holding tank about twice a week. The other 6.5 months a year, the shop may use 50 gallons a day.
I am wanting to add a fleck 9100sxt water softener twin tank softener, so as to not run out of soft water. Please advise if this softener choice is the correct for my application and what size system to purchase. I will also be adding a sediment filter before the softener. Also is the alkalinity acceptable? Any suggestion or recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

Reach4

Reaction score
Please advise if this softener choice is the correct for my application and what size system to purchase.
Sounds reasonable.

I will also be adding a sediment filter before the softener.
How many GPM will you want to draw through the softener and filter?
Also is the alkalinity acceptable?
Yes. When you sanitize your well and plumbing, you will use more vinegar than initial guesses might lead you to expect.

I am not a pro.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
9100sxt is ideal for your application. Be sure to get a hach 5b hardness test kit. Do you have the rest of the well water test results? Did you get a complete test or just the tests indicated above?

Brizine

Reaction score
The city municipality water treatment plant did the water test. The only other thing they supplied was fluoride at 0.21 ppm. They said they don’t test for metals in house and gave me the name of a lab they use for metal testing. I have no staining problems, so I figured iron was ok. If this is not enough information, I will send off another sample to another lab. If it is, what size softener do you recommend? Also can the 9100sxt be programmed to run one tank only during the reduced consumption months, or is there a better way to handle it?

Bannerman

Reaction score
The water used for the business, does that require a specific maximum amount of hardness (ie: < 3 ppm), or is 'generally soft' (<17 ppm = <1 gpg) water Ok?

To fill the 1500 gal tank, what is the expected fill time?

While you state well water, since the test results were provided by the town, is that town supplied well water or your own private well?

Last edited:

Brizine

Reaction score
Water is from a private well. The municipality just tested the water fo me. Generally soft is acceptable. Through a gpi g2 flowmeter with +-1.5% accuracy it pumps right at 10.75 gallons per minute. It takes approximately 2.5 hours to fill the 1500 gallon tank.

Reach4

Reaction score
Water is from a private well. The municipality just tested the water fo me. Generally soft is acceptable. Through a gpi g2 flowmeter with +-1.5% accuracy it pumps right at 10.75 gallons per minute. It takes approximately 2.5 hours to fill the 1500 gallon tank.
Each tank being a 10x54 inch tank with 1.5 cubic ft of resin would be the minimum, but you might increase that to a 12" x 52" with 2.00 cu. ft. of resin for each tank. The yoke tube connecting the two tanks is the same for up to 12 inch tanks.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Since you are your own municipality you may want to invest in a real water test from NTL Labs.

10x54 is good, 12x52 is better.
No real reason to set the system to regenerate at off peak times. The system will only use 2.4-3.5 GPM depending on system size and this is only for a few minutes, hardly noticeable in most applications. The remainder of the regeneration is at about 1 GPM.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks