Water Softner- Sears model 625.348591 leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Pitterpat

HandyWOMAN
Reaction score
Anybody know anything about a water softner leak? It's the Sears model referenced above. It leaks between the bypass valve and the valve body on the inlet side of the bypass valve. When the bypass valve is turned off it does not leak but when it is turned on it leaks at the inlet valve side of the bypass valve that is connected to the valve body of the water softner.

Hope you understand what I asked. Thanks, Pat

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Yes, they have an oring on the outlet and inlet and there is a clip pin to hold the by-pass onto the back of the control valve. The O ring may have a piece of dirt in the seal area or a gouge or other damage. Or, there may be plumbing strain on the by-pass causing the leak. That happens when the plumbing isn't lined up just right. Or chlorine etc. could be deteriorating the orings.

You can buy new orings.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Pitterpat

HandyWOMAN
Reaction score
Gary Slusser said:
Yes, they have an oring on the outlet and inlet and there is a clip pin to hold the by-pass onto the back of the control valve. The O ring may have a piece of dirt in the seal area or a gouge or other damage. Or, there may be plumbing strain on the by-pass causing the leak. That happens when the plumbing isn't lined up just right. Or chlorine etc. could be deteriorating the orings.

You can buy new orings.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

The O ring looked good, I looked for nicks and specks of dirt around the O ring didn't find any.
Could be plumbing strain but it has been hooked up like this for 5 yrs, could it take this long to strain the system to cause this leak?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Yes it could, especially since excessive striain cause deformation of an O ring. Is the retainer clip pin broken and allowing misalignment of the by-pass? If not and the O ring is good, then what else is there to cause a leak? And how do you tell if an O ring is bad? I'd change them both and see if there's any strain or misalignment.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks