Water Softner Design

Users who are viewing this thread

bluelogic

Reaction score
Hello,

In another thread, I ended up replumbing my catalytic carbon filter and water softener with 100% pex and shark bite removables. I only have dry fitted the connections for now but I was wondering if there is something I should add? For example:

A hose connector after the softener. I have one before. Heard it is good for testing, washing car, and start-up.
Do I need one hose connector after the carbon filter for testing?
Should I install a pressure gauge before and after a stage or is that not necessary?

Bluelogic

Reach4

Reaction score
A soft water connection connection could be useful for mixing yard chemicals, I suspect. However soft water is not good for watering plants. Yes on the car wash, at least final rinse. An inside shutoff is good, for hard or soft outside. It can help for freezing, but can also disable the outside spigot.

Yes for testing. A boiler drain valve can be a good thing to have indoorsfor sampling, and you can screw a pressure gauge to that. Before and after a cartridge filter is good. Pressure is a good measure of when the cartridge needs replacing, and is useful to know if you are using the right cartridge.

bluelogic

Reaction score
I don't have a cartridge filter. Using Catalytic Carbon Filter, so not sure about the pressure gauges. I wasn't sure if I need a boiler drain value after the Carbon Filter and before the softer at the bridge between the two systems.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I have four outdoor spigot configurations. 1 is unfiltered (before the iron filter), 2 is filtered hard water (between the iron filter and softener), 3 is soft cold water, and 4 is soft hot water. Meets all of my needs.

#1 provides the most GPM and is also used to purge the line of iron buildup. I use it for watering where it is away from the house and walks where iron staining would be a problem.
#2 is used where iron staining would be a problem and for soaker hoses that would clog up with iron.
#3 & 4 are used for outdoor washing.

Placing pressure gauges inline at the different stages is convenient for diagnosing (GPM) flow conditions and as such can indicate when a filter change or backwash is needed.

Reach4

Reaction score
#2 could be good for filling your drinking bottle with free mineral water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks