Water Softener

Users who are viewing this thread

BullheadPond

Reaction score
IS there small water softener that won;t break the bank ? We only have 2 people in the house. Not sure what size i would need to get.
Have hard water and iron taste in water. I currently run 2 Omni t01 filters inline and the taste and smell will be fine for about 3 weeks then i need to replace them . I was thinking maybe running a water softener before the filters may help it last longer and get rid of the water stains?
My home just has a crawl space , no basement. How would you hook up a drain line > can you use a pump like you do for an air conditioner?

MaxBlack

Reaction score
Where there's a will, there's a way.

Re: the WS you need first to test the water for hardness. As for smell, it might be a matter of putting an activated charcoal filter in your line--you might try this simply by putting one into one of your Omni housings.

We have a 20" Big Blue charcoal filter in our home and it works to remove the smell. Well, not 100% but it is much much better.

Others here will have more to say, but AFAIK a water softener alone will do next to nothing in re: smelly water.

Reach4

Reaction score
1. For a softener in the crawl space, how would you access it? Trap door?
2. You can partially bury the tank, if your crawl space has a dirt floor.
3. Brine tank can be placed above the softener where it is easy to add salt.
4. Drain line is pressurized, so it can pump uphill. Unless your water pressure is very low, you could run a pipe up to the washing machine area for the drain line. 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch PVC or 3/4 inch pex would be choices with plenty of capacity for most situations.

Softeners with a Fleck 5600SXT for 3/4 inch plumbing are usually good. You want gravel.

The common tank would be 54x10 and the valve adds more height. However there are shorter tanks available.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks