Water softener with PVC plumbing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yesterday I visited a friend who had just purchased a Kenmore softener and had it install by supposedly a licensed plumber. It was a very neat installation, but he had used regular white PVC. Is my understand incorrect on using PVC for water lines inside a home? I didn't say anything, because if the installer was really licensed, then I want to think it would be a legal installation. Inquiring minds want to know!:D

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
The only reason not to use it on a softener or filter install is that in many instances it is said to not be to code if used inside a house; although I have read that at one time it was code approved by all codes but the code was changed a couple years later. I don't know but I guess that is in all 5 national codes...

IMO it's the best choice of all materials because sch 40 is iron pipe size (larger ID), the least expensive and quickest to install and easily repaired if needed, nothing in water can harm it and it is inert (adds nothing to water).

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
So Gary, if I understand your answer correctly, you are saying while it may not be 100% up to code, it still is a good choice for a softener so I can quit worrying about it. (I wasn't losing sleep over it, mostly just curious.):)

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
In PA I used it for 99% of all installations for like 18 yrs. So did plumbers and other water treatment dealers and some well guys ran it into the basement from the well. But here and on other plumbing forums I've been told code says not in the house. Some of my customers use it and say they'll worry about a code problem later if there ever is one. :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks