Water Softener With A Septic System OK or Not OK

Users who are viewing this thread

RayMan

Shared Well Services
Reaction score
If you have a 1,000 gallon septic tank can a water softener be installed and drain into the septic tank without causing any problems?

I read articles that say it's OK and I read articles that say it will flood the septic tank and destroy all of the needed bacteria in the tank.

Is it against code to backwash or drain a water softener onto the ground? If so where would one find this code?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
How often is the softener likely to cycle or clean its self?

Some place in Az code there might be some thing about what you are looking at doing, that I don't know. Each state is a bit different when it comes to this.

RayMan

Shared Well Services
Reaction score
I am not certain, my guess would be once if not twice a week. It is one of the larger softeners and the hardness of the water is definitely on the Hard Side, probably 7.5 to 8.5 or more unless its sodium. Currently waiting for the water test results on sodium to come back. The other problem in the area right now is Arsenic at .015 . . . common in AZ.

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
Check with your local municipality for any restrictions on where the water from regeneration of the softener can be discharged.

The discharge from regeneration of a softener does not destroy the bacteria in a septic tank and generally, so long as your septic system is functioning correctly, there is not a problem using the septic system for discharge of the water from regeneration.

A 1 cubic foot (32,000 grain) softener discharges about 50 gallons per regeneration.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
From what I have seen around here one to two times a week does not have an impact on the Septic system.

15ppb?

research, research and more research on the Arsenic.

I have 1 cubic systems use any where from about 45 gallons to 85 gallons, as it all depends on the level of Iron that I am dealing with.

RayMan

Shared Well Services
Reaction score
What would the effect be if discharged on the ground surface within 100 feet of a well?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
I know that here there is to be 125 feet between the well and the septic system..

How deep is the well? and where is the pump set within the well?

Say the well is 200' and the pump is at 170' as an example.

RayMan

Shared Well Services
Reaction score
The well is 635 feet deep and the pump is set somewhere between 490 and 520 which is identified as the aquifer on the drilled well report. All septic tanks are set back at a distance which passes County code. The discharge is being done in this guys front yard which is uphill from the well.

We are waiting for the water test results for sodium, should we be testing for something in addition to sodium?

Last edited:

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
What kind of ground does the well log say was gone through to get to the 635'?

500' of earth is a lot for the water with sodium to move through..

RayMan

Shared Well Services
Reaction score
The Drilled report states: 0 - 20 Broken Rock & Clay; 20 - 400 Sedimentary Rock & Clay; 400 - 635 Basalt

20 GPM, Aquifer 490 - 520, 590 - 600

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks like some good filter ground, but I might be wrong..

Most of the time around here wells are between 60-100'

Now one that I get to put treatment on 1/25/10 is down to 200' with the pump at 150'

RayMan

Shared Well Services
Reaction score
We have discovered that the Regeneration or Discharge of a water softener is subject to the 2006 International Plumbing Code with AZBO/MAG Amendments.

What does the code require as concerns the discharge from a water softener when there is septic?

Thanks Again!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks