Water softener vessel imploded

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeep890

Reaction score
Hello,

I have read quite a few threads on this site explaining why a softener or water heater could implode but still have a few questions.

My building's softener tank appears to have imploded then exploded. The cracks on the tank indicate that it first sucked in, then blew out. Is the only way for this to happen is to have lack of supply pressure into the softener tank? The water heater is down stream of it and all of the mechanical is on the 2nd floor.

Thanks,

Reach4

Reaction score
My building's softener tank appears to have imploded then exploded. The cracks on the tank indicate that it first sucked in, then blew out. Is the only way for this to happen is to have lack of supply pressure into the softener tank?
Yes, but lack of supply pressure is fairly common. Usually that would be from closing a valve, but not always. The well pump could fail. The city could be working on a line. A filter could clog badly.

The repaired system needs a vacuum breaker.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....for-softener-filter-on-input-or-output.63102/

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
https://view.publitas.com/impact-water-products/2018-catalog-final/page/134-135

Very common. Even a small booster pump for an RO can implode a tank. Drain lines running down a hill and many other causes… Check out the link above for pictures of imploded tanks. If the water repressurizes the tanks will go back into shape but they will be permanently damaged and must be replaced. Regardless, this is not a warrantable item.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks