Water Softener Vacation Regeneration Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Mauser

Reaction score
Very surprised I could not find this subject already - I guess my search skills are poor - but I DID try!

Anyway, if one has a house that is going to sit empty for a few weeks or months, what is the best option to handle the water softener? Do we need to just let it stay on the normal regen cycle, sucking down salt even when there is no water being used between cycles? What happens when the salt is all consumed, is that a problem?

If it makes any difference to the answer, my well water is VERY hard, with high iron content. Typical regeneration period is about once a week or 10 days. I normally treat the brine well with a cup of Iron Out every month. Obviously, if I am gone for an extended period of time, that will not be happening.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Most modern softener have meters with a day over ride. Most people set the DO to 30 days, all should be fine after that.

MaxBlack

Reaction score
If you're going to be gone a long time, you should actually turn your well pump OFF so that there is no chance of flooding the house when you are gone. If for some reason you need it left on, see ditttohead's answer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks