Water Softener, Using too much salt

Users who are viewing this thread

Ryan O'Donnell

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I would like to thank you in advance for all your help, and knowledge on this subject. I have contacted the contractor that installed these units, and he will not help. He claims that this is a normal amount of salt, and the system is running great (clearly this isnt correct).

We currently have an Ecowater Series 3500, Series ETF2100pf filter and and Airaider 433 Radon system. The Ecowater system recently has gone from about 1 bag per month to about 4 bags a week of solar salt. A month ago we had a new boiler and hot water tank installed, which is right when we started to go through a ton of salt. I have someone looking into the piping side of it, but I think this problem has to do something with the system possible recharging way too often. I have made changes in the hardness level (from 25 to 18) to see if this helps, and have changed the system to recharge once a week. The system is stating that we are using about 800 gallons of water a day (Is that even possible?). Is there any chance that maybe the system is using a lot of salt due to false water usage numbers?

We were running on 25 hardness and daily recharge for a year with no issues in salt use. I cannot figure out what would cause the change in use. It could be a million things, but im looking for places to start like maybe valve issues, control issues etc.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
800 gallons of water a day (Is that even possible?)
Do you have a water meter for city water?

If you have a well, how big is your pressure tank?

" The system is stating that we are using about 800 gallons of water a day (Is that even possible?)."
That is 0.56 gallons per minute.

Last edited:

blaze4545

Reaction score
You said it started right after the hot water tank and boiler installation? Check for leaks on any new plumbing around those, If any drain valves or pressure relief valves are open etc.

800 gallons is alot for an average sized family so a leak would be my first guess

Next would be to check the meter on the water softener. If the meter/impeller is damaged or faulty it could be miscalculating the water usage.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks