water softener tank

Users who are viewing this thread

monkeybrains

Reaction score
I am purchasing a water softener and I have the option to go with a tank with gravel in the bottom or a tank called vortech that doesnt use the gravel. The price is the same for either one, is one better than the other.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
I my self would go with the standard type tank.
There is some thing about the vortech tank set up that just does not work for me, the main reason is that if the distributor fails for what ever reason and a new distributor is needed the whole tank needs to be replaced where with the older style the tank stays and the distributor is replaced at a fraction of the cost.

biermech

Previous member
Reaction score
I came across a vortech tanks a few weeks ago. The customer was complaining about resin in the house. Come to find out the tube broke free from the distributor. Upon close inspection I found that the tube was not glued just snapped in. I say, don't waste your money on the vortech.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I am purchasing a water softener and I have the option to go with a tank with gravel in the bottom or a tank called vortech that doesnt use the gravel. The price is the same for either one, is one better than the other.
IMO the best is the normal separate distributor tube and gravel underbed as opposed to a one piece tank like the vortex. You usually won't get the reduced backwash water volume etc. etc. that they sell you on.

And if the dealer is selling you the regular tank and gravel, he is overcharging you because the Vortex should cost him more, or at least it cost me more when I was in business. That included the shipping cost of gravel etc.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The vortex will give you slightly better resin efficiency but, for all the reasons others have listed above I would go with a gravel underbed.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am going to have a flat forehead before this is all said and done.

All that one has to do is go to the Vortech from Enrss web site to see the press release and the build up of the innovative bottom distribution system... their words..........

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The ENPRESS Vortech™ and
Mid-Vortech™ distribution technologies are revolutionizing the water treatment industry. The design creates fluidity of the media bed and extends contaminant removal capacity; which means less regenerations and significant reduction of water use…saving water, salt and the environment, with backwash flow rate reductions of at least 30%. So it’s easy to go green and make a lot of green at the same time. Plus, with Vortech™ and Mid-Vortech™ eliminate gravel and hub & lateral assembly, reducing overall cost and shipping weight. Mid-Vortech™ eliminates the need for a second media tank system, by combining two medias into one tank and keeping them physically separated, reducing overall system cost and backwash water usage, with the elimination of redundant equipment.

Those claims relating to resin efficiency are in bold print. I see little has changed around here and suspect that since the above does not specifically state "resin efficiency" that the usual BS argument will ensue, however just to be clear here I did indeed interpret the print above to mean "resin efficiency" Anyone that does not agree with my interpretation is certainly free to interpret it any way they wish.
* ADS

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
The ENPRESS Vortech™ and
Mid-Vortech™ distribution technologies are revolutionizing the water treatment industry. The design creates fluidity of the media bed and extends contaminant removal capacity; which means less regenerations and significant reduction of water use…saving water, salt and the environment, with backwash flow rate reductions of at least 30%. So it’s easy to go green and make a lot of green at the same time. Plus, with Vortech™ and Mid-Vortech™ eliminate gravel and hub & lateral assembly, reducing overall cost and shipping weight. Mid-Vortech™ eliminates the need for a second media tank system, by combining two medias into one tank and keeping them physically separated, reducing overall system cost and backwash water usage, with the elimination of redundant equipment.

Those claims relating to resin efficiency are in bold print.
You must mean resin life. Anyway, IMO most of their claims are not going to be met out in the field and that's why I say the same as you and AK that a regular tank and DT and gravel is the best choice.

An iron or H2S filter is not redundant to a softener and if the Vortex compartment version tank has a problem with needing the lower minerals to be replaced you replace the whole tank. That's not a good thing and certainly doesn't lead to "resin efficiency".

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is a good product and does as advertised. Peter was spot on as usual. Lol

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Peter. You said it perfectly. As to the vortech tank. Awesome product but is it worth the premium cost? The efficiency claims are questionable at best and I would not recommend shipping built units due the problem stated earlier. I prefer the standard gravel underbed design. I am not a fan of the vortech in anti scale systems.. I prefer the specialized upflow bottom screens. Either way you will do just fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks