Water Softener System needed for new house build

Users who are viewing this thread

Danny Soroudi

The One & Only
Reaction score
So I am learning about the intricacies of water softener systems here, very useful information indeed!

I am about to start a new home construction, about 6,000sf, 7 bathroom house in Los Angeles, CA.

I will be going with a tankless system (yes yes, I already know some of you dont like that), and I will need to soften my water so as to not damage the system / potentially void warranty, etc.

I've already confirmed that the water's average hardness is 290 mg/L or 17 grains/gallon. The flouride concentration ranges from 0.6 to 1.2 mg/L. I've also confirmed that chloramines are used to treat/disinfect the water.

Would very much appreciate being pointed towards a solution or some options that I should consider.

Thanks

Bannerman

Reaction score
  • How many residents?
  • Are there multi-head showers or other fixtures which will require high flow rates?
  • What diameter plumbing is to be installed? What material?
  • Hardness should be tested at your specific location, not based upon an average. Hardness levels can vary throughout a municipal distribution system.
  • While you only mention softening, are you also considering removal/reduction of other contaminants such as chloramines at point of entry, or, at point of use for drinking and ice maker?

Danny Soroudi

The One & Only
Reaction score
  • Residents: 6
  • No multi-head showers. California is very difficult and has strict restrictions on flow rates etc
  • Plumbing is copper (going to price out PEX, but I doubt I will use it)
  • Diameter of line from house to the city meter is a 2". Within the house its 1.5" for HW and CW for the main loop, of course branches to smaller for specific fixtures (some are .5" others are .75" branches)
  • I will get a testing kit asap for water hardness and see what it is at my property, however, the municipality I live in with LA is small, probably does not use numerous sources for its water.
  • I would consider point of entry for removal/reduction of other contaminants, cost dependent for such a system of course. Original thinking was point of use for drinking water and ice maker.

Reach4

Reaction score
You could use a system with 2.5 cubic ft or more of 10% crosslinked resin and a Fleck 5812 SXT controller. A 3 cubic ft system would use a 14 x 65 tank.

I would consider some filtering before. If you were not removing chloramines, you could use 2 Pentek 4.5 x 20 filter housings in parallel to keep down the pressure drop. That would be to take out sediment. If you put a valve at each end of each filter, you could take one out of service and work on the other, but normally have all 4 valves open.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Considering the size of your plumbing a larger valve would be recommended, it is technically required by code. You are not allowed to reduce pipe size. This gets into a lot of wonky technical jargon but well keep it simple for now. A backwashing Catalytic carbon tank and softener would be ideal for you application. A slightly larger than average system would be ideal. The math says a 2.5 Cubic foot unit would work but considering the plumbing size I would recommend going to a slightly larger unit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks