Water Softener Start up Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Allex

Reaction score
Hello,
I just installed a "new" (only new for my house) softener and don't know how to start it up. I have included the picture of the control panel, which has a main dial without any names/marks besides a single dot. I don't know where I should turn it in some position to run the cycle or just wait for a day and clock to come around and run on its own. Any information is greatly appreciated. By the way I searched the internet and couldn't find the manual on the unit, maybe someone can point it out.

Attachments

• 01202012161.jpg
    01202012161.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 4,164

Allex

Reaction score
Thank you for the helpful information. I have turned the main knob and started the manual cycle. Do you know when will be the next automatic cycle and can it be set up for a certain time of day when I am not going to be home?

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
No we don't know when will be the next automatic cycle because we have no clue how you set the timer up. You need to know the grains hardness to be removed, iron ppm to be removed and the number of people in the house and then go here

http://www.pentairwatertreatment.com...Fleck+2510.htm

Read the manual and set the timer. It can be set to regenerate any time you want it to but most folks set it for around 2 am

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
If nothing has been changed from the photo, the next cycle looks to be in 1000 gallons.
How long that 1k gallons is going to last is going to be based on how your house hold uses the water.
From the factory the normal time is 2am when the meter has reached 0.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
It is critical to know a few things before the system can be set correctly.

Raw water hardness
System size
How many people in the house
Does your water have iron or manganese

Also, on that valve I need to know what size BLFC, the sticker on the valve that the brine line goes into will be blue, black or red. (black is the most common). .25 GPM, .50 gpm, or 1.0 GPM.

Last edited:

Allex

Reaction score
I haven't done water hardness test yet. However do you know how Iron effects the settings of a system?
Thanks again!

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Water softeners can be used for iron removal, although by todays efficiency standards it is not a good idea. The iron levels will be calculated into the hardness settings. 1 ppm or iron = 85 PPM of hardness, or 5 grains. It will also determine wether the system can be regenerated efficiently or if the salt has to be set to a higher level to lessen iron fouling. It will also affect the backwash timing. Municipal Iron free water can be adjusted to a very short backwash with no negative affect. Water supplies with iron require extended backwash rates.

The information mentioned above will allow me or any other water softener technician to assist you with setting the system correctly. It is critical that a salt regenerating softener be set properly to minimize waste which is good for the environment and our industry as a whole.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks