Water softener standpipe- no trap? No gasses?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kvn27

Reaction score
The question- how to determine if there is a trap buried in the concrete? The situation- I am adding utility sink dwv to an area next to my whole home Water Softener. The DWV will tie into an existing 2 inch standpipe capped with a WS drain line at the top. There is an allowable air gap in the pipe itself for the WS line but I am puzzled by one thing. The WS line doesn't have the safety air hole incase there was a backup. I can add one no problem. But the curious thing is that the line was connected to the standpipe by a hole just big enough for the line to fit in. Now I don't smell any sewer gasses, but before I reconnect everything I want to figure out what the new vent situation should be once I connect the new sink Drain pipe. Should i add an AAV just incase?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The question- how to determine if there is a trap buried in the concrete?

Pour in a gallon of water, then peer down to see if you can see a reflection from standing water. And/or check for standing water with a rag well secured to a fairly rigid stick (so it doesn't follow any elbows, just goes straight down).

Should i add an AAV just incase?
That's not the question, the question is whether you need to add a trap and a vent (which could be an AAV).

If there is a trap, then there should be a vent, so you can also look at your piping configuration to see if there's a vent pipe. Posting a picture would provide more info.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
yes you gotta know what you have befor you decide what you need. I belive you have a crossconnection on the w/s.
That pipe might just go to a drywell or out to a canal ?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks